97 GM running lean - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:03   #1 (permalink)

97 GM running lean

My 97 GM is running very lean, it bogs badly when I stand on it. If I ease into it, it's some what better. I didn't get any codes until the other day. My mechanic told me the code said and it's in his words one of the banks is running lean. NO kidding huh? It's a low miler 42k, and as result a keeper. I changed the fuel filter, but other then that, I have no idea whats up? Oh also the mechanic cleared the code and it hasn't come on since. It's been a couple of weeks. It also has a hesitation. I had a 94 and compared to it this car really sucks performance wise. Any idea's? I should also mention I put a new air filter in it.
spaztic_typer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:42   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 97 GM running lean

Try cleaning the throttle body, MAF and ICS. There's a special cleaner for the MAF. It's possible you have a vacuum leak too, but start by cleanlng them.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:21   #3 (permalink)

I guess I should have mentioned I did that first. I took it to Ford and they said without codes they wouldn't touch it They did suggest the cleaning which I did and ran some carb cleaner in the gas. The mechanic said he could feel the hestation, but with out codes it would be expensive..lol. I'm wondering if there's a program that can check the tolerances on the various sensors, my mechanic suggested that one or more of the sensors may be out of spec, but not showing a code.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:53   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did they tell you which sensors to spec out? Do you have a Haynes or Chilton manual?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:30   #5 (permalink)

Naaa, it was purely speculation. But I did a search for some free software, which I did find. Just have to buy a cable to run from my laptop.
Old 10-26-2009, 18:31   #6 (permalink)

well apparently I didn't listen well enough, I cleaned the mas and wow, runs like a dream. All my problems are gone.
Old 10-26-2009, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71