97 Grand Marquis losing electrical power ?
I'm new here, 1st time poster.
About a month ago, I took my 97 Mercury Marquis to get the emissions test done. They drove my car into the shop area, and turned the ignition off. About 10 minutes later when they proceeded to test my car, it would not start, dead as a door nail. No power at all, no lights, interior or exterior. They came and asked me why it would not start, wanted to know if maybe I had some kind of security sytem, I told them I did not. I opened the hood and asked the serviceman to try starting the car while I "wiggled a few wires", it finally started, I had wiggled the two positive cables coming from the plus side of the battery, one of those wires goes to the power distribution box, and I'm guessing the other goes to the starter, it's hard to see where that one actually goes though.
Those two positive cables appear to be crimped together into a terminal connector with heat shrink insulation around the outside of the connector.
I'm no doctor when it comes to electrical problems with automotive wiring, so my question is:
Has anyone here had the same problem happen to them, and would you think the problem is in the crimp of the positive cable connector where it connects to the positive post of the battery, or maybe the screw post on the power distribution box where one of those positve cables connects. I did notice when I unscrewed the nut off the post on the power distribution box, the post is "loose" when the nut is not screwed on tight, is that "normal"???
Thanks for any help you can offer, I can't get my car to pass emissions test because everytime the power gets interrupted, it clears the onboard computer memory, then I have to try and drive for about two weeks to build the memory back up.