97 Marquis - a few issues (advice needed) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 23:38   #1 (permalink)

97 Marquis - a few issues (advice needed)

Hey all, my 97 marquis has treated me very well so far but there are a few annoying things I am trying to figure out and get fixed but I can't afford it for the dealer to just start replacing dealer issued parts + labor add up quick!

So far the car has only 72K on it and seems to start and run fine but has sorta lost its "pep" wondering if it needs wires or new plugs, is there a way to inspect wires to see if you need new ones? Bought the car at 60K a few yrs ago and have no idea if they were ever changed or even need to be changed btw.

Last year my cruise worked fine used it on a few road trips zero issues, but when i went to use it this weekend (been easily 9 months since it was used last) when i hit ON i see "SPEED CONTROL" on digital dash but it never "engages" and holds a speed when i hit SET and will not work when i hit accelerate from the buttons on steering wheel either (any ideas to check based on that info?).

The car sat a lot without me driving it the last few years, altho i did always get it out every few weeks for quick runs, and did quite a few early oil changes not for miles but for time (sat with 1k miles 7-8 months so id just change the oil to make sure it had fresh stuff in there.

Over the winter it sat a solid 4-5 months tho, I had the brakes done about 5k miles ago but after sitting i think the front rotors just have a ton of rust spots cuz i get pulses and had some noise for the first few days, still have the pulse but its 75% better and virtually no noise after driving it daily around town, will i need to get those front rotors re-ground to fix the problem totally?

My drivers mirror is powered and works but it shakes when i drive, drives me batty!!! The dealer actually fixed it right after I bought it for me and for about 3-4 months it was fine (not sure what they did) but i do recall them having to go back in and fix it cuz it was causing my window to stick (almost like tape was holding it) when id put the window down, so thinking some sorta tape or something was being used they took things apart and fixed it but the window is back to shaking again any ideas?

My passenger side mirror is also power and worked last summer but will not move now, i hear see no "attempt" of movement, (no motor trying to work) so thinking maybe a switch? Any troubleshooting ideas on how to check what it could be?

Also since it sits alot my passenger and 2 rear door windows are super slow they do work but are slow to go up and down, would some sorta spray lube in the tracks help those or complicate things? If so what product wd40 white lithium grease etc?

None of these are huge issues I realize but just tryin to take care of it and get it runnin decent so any input is greatly appreciated.

Bill :)
FTLOSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 12:23   #2 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: 97 Marquis - a few issues (advice needed)

The plug wires that came on the vehicle from the factory had the respective cylinder number on them. If they are labeled as such then I would say that they have never been changed.

The rotors on these vehicle were susceptible to pulsation. Resurfacing them does not always fix this concern. If you can feel it in the seat it is most likely the rear. If it is felt in the steering wheel and/or pedal is is most likely the front.

For the slow moving rear windows use silicone spray on the window runs/felt. Make sure you shake it up very well before you use it. It should look like paste when it comes out, not a liquid. Spray while operating the window and try to get all the way down the track where it disappears into the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71