97 merc marquis "smell anti freeze' - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 13:56   #1 (permalink)

Smile 97 merc marquis "smell anti freeze'

I have a strong smell of this stuff, nothin leaking on the ground, nothin leaking on the motor or radiator. Is this the heater core. And or is it a !!BIG BIG! job to repair. ANY help appreciated. please bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 97 merc marquis "smell anti freeze'

Dont know about that particular car , but as you suspect , usually caused by heater matrix / core leaking . You sometimes get it worse coming out of vents when blower first put on . Might be worthwhile getting a pressure test on cooling system to verify / locate leak .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 20:16   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

x2 ^
Old 10-18-2010, 21:26   #4 (permalink)

How would you describe this smell? Because I have a smell when I turn off my car and turn on the vents and would like to know if I am facing a similar problem or just a warm engine smell.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Only way I can describe it is as a fusty , sweet smell . Which is different from a hot engine smell , which is different from an engine with oil fumes / burning oil smell !!!!!!! The older and more experienced you get , the easier it is for your nose to diagnose !!!!! They are all different from a passenger with smelly feet beside heater which entails driving with window down or dumping by roadside !!! How did we get on this subject ???
Old 10-19-2010, 11:18   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Only way I can describe it is as a fusty , sweet smell . Which is different from a hot engine smell , which is different from an engine with oil fumes / burning oil smell !!!!!!! The older and more experienced you get , the easier it is for your nose to diagnose !!!!! They are all different from a passenger with smelly feet beside heater which entails driving with window down or dumping by roadside !!! How did we get on this subject ???

Musty feet!!What how the heck did that get on here, and you and the mustang quit stealing my post! Do you know how to take, or know where i can get a schmatic for the removal of such heater core?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:55   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Ford Crown Victoria Heater Core Pictures
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

It was a reply to the post of "BrandonP71" re. leaking heater matrix smell and part of it was meant as a joke . If it got you upset , get a life , there are more important things nowadays to bother with than trivial things like that . If other forum members feel the same way as you about my post , I apologise to all .
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48   #9 (permalink)

roll Re: 97 merc marquis "smell anti freeze'

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
It was a reply to the post of "BrandonP71" re. leaking heater matrix smell and part of it was meant as a joke . If it got you upset , get a life , there are more important things nowadays to bother with than trivial things like that . If other forum members feel the same way as you about my post , I apologise to all .

Just to let you in on whats going on,old friend, i was meaning a joke! when said, Your the one thats uptight.to waste a paragraph yellin at me. Theres no animosity on my part, I am dealing with a lot of forums, .....and jumpin in with your,bad attitude and ..I'm the "king " here deal goin on in your head! well .you are dealng with another persons problem thru you. DON'T DO THAT ok now back to the buiness at hand , start a thread on your own smell.

BTW Bert thanks for the pics, thats what i was told. The dash had to be taken out. I've done several other model cars over the years, pictures are worth a 1000 words,........just needed a little refreshing i guess..............very helpful .....................thanks again Bert!! bob s
Old 10-22-2010, 10:04   #10 (permalink)
Always the student

Hmmmm, Brandon was looking for some help, just like you were. Maybe, just maybe, he thought you might be able to help him. It didn't take anything away from this thread and maybe helped someone. And lLOGAN has been here quite a while, is a regular member, and often gives helpful advice. This isn't exactly your thread, this is a public forum. There is really only a handful of regular members here. I'm glad you found the help you was looking for, you are of course quite welcome to stick around, but honestly, it looks like you are the one with the attitude. Have a great day.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71