97 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14   #1 (permalink)

97 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

New here and just got this car and so far am really liking it.
Couple quick questions......
Anyone do or have J-Mod done to the transmission?
If so..what can you say about it?
Also wondering if anyone replaced OEM coils with high performance ones.
Thanks.
ps- the forum is great and Bert, whoever you are, your posts have been incredibly helpful already.
WillMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 09:44   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 97 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMarquis View Post
New here and just got this car and so far am really liking it.
Couple quick questions......
Anyone do or have J-Mod done to the transmission?
If so..what can you say about it?
Also wondering if anyone replaced OEM coils with high performance ones.
Thanks.
ps- the forum is great and Bert, whoever you are, your posts have been incredibly helpful already.
Haven't done one personally, but I know that you end up with a snappier and more responsive tranny that doesn't generate the heat so much. Common denominator amongst those who've done/had it done was that if you're not a veteran of transmission work, you should probably have it done for you.

High performance coils look nice. They also have their place. If you're driving aggressively, racing, etc. and the engine is modded to support that sort of driving, they do add to the engine's ability to respond. Otherwise, you just have a coil that is performing under it's potential (pardon the electrical pun) and it looks nice.

I'm eventually going to put one in my truck... because it looks nice.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the mention. Glad I've been helpful.
I haven't done any mods on them either. All of my experience is service and repair. Maybe someone will post more as CatSkinner did on the trans mod.

The 97 has seperate coils for each spark plug. No experience there either. I only trust OEM coils rather than those made in China.
Old 09-03-2012, 20:19   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies....yeah- I've read a bit about the trains mod and it looks like something to definitely consider down the road. And a transmission guy makes the most sense to go to.
Bert, I've also read there are separate coils for each plug but I must be missing something. I replaced the wires yesterday and there are 2 blocks which I thought were the coils....4 wires plug in to each.
And finally....how big a job is getting at the RH exhaust manifold...I have a small leak and suspect the gasket but it looks like a job and a half if you were going at it in the backyard.
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 20:50   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You're right, I forgot that up through 97, they had 2 coils in front of each cylinder head. Working to much and not sleeping good takes it's toll. I don't work until the end of the month so I'll get more rest.

The manifolds are a bear to R&R. Here's some directions. | Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical | Exhaust Manifold | AutoZone.com

Check closely because the EGR pipe or tubes to the DPFE sensor may be the leak.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08   #6 (permalink)

Ah cool...thank you. It doesn't look like something I'll tackle myself but when I get home (I drive a rig and am gone weekly) I will check around the EGR and those pipes....hopefully it'll be that easy. Lol. And I'll let you know.
I did find some high perf coil packs but I'm not sure if it's something that would make a huge difference right now. Maybe after the true dual and cold air intake mods.
Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22   #7 (permalink)

And after some research on the CAI intake modification....or even just going with a K&N cone filter it appears not worth it since the cone will pull hot air from inside the bay as well as mess with the MAF sensor.
Anyone confirm or deny this?

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
Old 09-04-2012, 11:54   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd say tht's correct. The Ford box gets cold air as it is from the factory. Besides the K&N can mess up the MAF sensor.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51   #9 (permalink)

Right....looks like an upgrade with a Maurader box is the way to go. Except then you have to tune it to match.
And pricey.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

I have done several "J-Mods". The modifications vary from year to year with different results. Carefully consider exactly how you want your transmission to perform, or else you will find yourself buying a new separator plate.

I have discovered, through trial and error, that the accumulator springs listed on the J-mod sites are just a starting point. Unless you are lucky, plan on dropping the valve body several times to get the accumulator spring rates just right. For instance, on my '05 4R70W, I found that just removing the inside spring on my 1-2 accumulator and installing the softest 2-3 spring (instead of leaving the 2-3 spring out altogether) works best my '05 CV Sport, for my type of driving. Additionally, I did not drill the separator plate for more flow to the accumulators, the '05 plate already has larger holes, I only drilled to allow additional fluid flow.

Use Mercon V synthetic fluid. It's expensive, so be prepared to save it, you might have to remove the pan and valve body several times to get everything just right.

The mods are worthwhile. My car now will just chirp the tires during WOT shifts, but shifts smoothly and quicker than stock, during normal driving.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71