'98 4.6 crown vic into a '01 Grand Marquis Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 17:19   #1 (permalink)

'98 4.6 crown vic into a '01 Grand Marquis Help

Hello and let me first say Thank you for looking!

My Dad bought a wrecked p71 with less than a 100k, 4.6l, 1998 ran great with the idea of installing the 98 4.6 into his 2001 Grand Marquis 4.6l with 300k. Both Automatic Trans.

He (wrongly) assumed that this would be an easy swap. He didn't save the crown vic wiring harness and crushed it with the car at the local recycler.

Now he's upset, and stuck with this motor that he says isn't worth a thing without the wiring harness. He's not willing to shell out the several hundred for a new wiring harness. He's also not computer savvy, which is why I am on here on his behalf.

I was thinking there must be someone that makes an easy conversion plug but my internet searches proved useless.

Does anyone have any ideas, is there any kits for this job? Anyone done a similar job?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm relatively new to the forum, I'm sure there is a way to have replies sent directly to your email, so you know that someone has responded, but I don't have that set up. I will check back as much as I am able, but if anyone would like to contact me directly you can email me at kplords@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,
Kevin
kplords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 08:42   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: '98 4.6 crown vic into a '01 Grand Marquis Help

This will be a somewhat difficult swap because the engines are more different than you might think. Your Dad's 2001 has PI heads and, as you have discovered, the intake and wiring harness will not interchange with the earlier engine. I would be less expensive to look for a later model engine.

If he really wants to use the older engine, the heads are interchangeable. Rebuilding and installing the '01 heads on the '98 would allow him to use the '01 intake and wiring harness. The PI heads (and cams) also flow much better above 4500 RPM.

I realize that cost is an issue, but it would be prudent to install new cam chains and timing gears when the heads are off. At the very least, install new valve seals.

Good luck Kevin, and let us know how this works out.

BTW, there are a few "plug and play" wiring harnesses for Modular engines in the Ford Racing and Power Products (FRPP) catalogue, but none that I know of for this conversion.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71