98 crown vic check engine light trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 22:54   #1 (permalink)

98 crown vic check engine light trouble

Im kinda at a loss of what to do. My light comes off and on whenever it pleases with no ryme or rythem. It has done this for years with the same codes coming up saying my catalitic converter is bad. However my emissions have always been fine and the car has been really dependable. California changed some of the tests and now my car wont pass smog because of the stupid light. The light stays on about 1/2 the time and then suddenly it will go out. But when it goes out, it wont even come on when the assessory is on. Is there an issue with the connectors or the computer? The car isnt worth much and is a beater, but if I can cheaply fix this I would be more then willing.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 98 crown vic check engine light trouble

There's a pink/light green wire that gets grounded by the PCM to turn the light on. Maybe it's worn through the insulation and grounding out somewhere if you're not getting any codes. That wouldn't be the cause of it not turning on though. Have you checked for codes?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19   #3 (permalink)

My wifes 97 CV had the check engine light come on. It had over the years developed considerable spark knock when under a heavier load(like climbing a hill) and just generally seemed less spunky. I was thinking of buying a OBDII reader, but discovered that Schucks/O'Reilly's Auto would let you borrow theirs. The trouble codes came up saying that the right and left banks were running lean and there was a miss in cylinder 5. I change that spark plug and it fixed that, then bought a set and changed the rest. Next, after checking around on the net at this and several other sites about the lean problem, I focused on the MAF sensor as a possible culprit. Per several other posters I bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner, cleaned it, disconnected the neg battery terminal for 15-20 minutes to reset the computer and the difference was amazing. The car had it's zip back, the spark knock was completely gone and on a 3000 mile trip I avereaged just shy of 20MPG overall with as high as 25MPG Hwy. Cost: about $25 for double platinum plugs, $7 for a can of CRC and a few hours in the garage. (All purchased from Shucks/O'Reilly, of course, because they let me borrow their trouble code reader...fair enough!)
97cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Cleaning the MAF makes a big difference in the running.
Old 09-19-2010, 14:42   #5 (permalink)

Okay, but what is a MAF? Thank you!
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's mounted in the upper air cleaner box.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71