98 Crown Vic Window replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 22:10   #1 (permalink)

98 Crown Vic Window replacement

I have a 98 Crown Victoria that was hit by vandals here in hellish Iowa. That said, I need to replace the rear 'opera' window on the drivers side. How do I go about removing the trim? What tools will I need? Is it a hard task? How much is a fair price for a salvage window?

I looked on eBay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-04...Q5fAccessories

Is the above glass a better option since its already got the sealer in place, or should I just buy the piece of glass? Which is easier?

Thanks in advance for any help guys!
98VicCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 07:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 98 Crown Vic Window replacement

You have to replace the whole assy as the one you showed from ebay. You can also search here and see if a local wrecking yard has one. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I think they call it a rear vent window.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26   #3 (permalink)

Does the U/D window have to come out to put the entire assembly in?

I've aquired the part from a local salvage yard for $35.

I have no clue how to put it in. I have the trim removed from the outer door and the inside door panel removed.

Now what?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You have to remove the roll-up window glass before removing the quarter window. When that's removed, just look at the replacement and see where the clips and bolts were.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:35   #5 (permalink)

I have no idea how to remove the U/D window. I have the door panel off, trim removed, etc.

Ive searched YouTube for help, as well as Google.

It seems that the mount the U/D window glass sits in, the screws that hold it in place are just threads. There are no heads on them to take any kind of screw driver.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those are rivets. You drill the head off and push them through the glass and regulator. Drill out the head of the rivet using a 1/4" diameter drill. Use 1/4" - 20 x 1/2" bolts, washers and nuts to secure the new regulator in place when you're done. I use lock nuts so I don't overtighten the glass. Here's a website for replacing the regulator but the part on the glass alone is all you need. check the 4th and 5th pictures and capions for the info. Window Regulator Replacement in 92-06 Crown Victoria/ Grand Marquis
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71