98 gm cranks but no start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
My 1st GM

98 gm cranks but no start

this all started about a month ago..when the weather got real cold, it would crank but not start,then the door lock trick was tried, then it started, then a couple weeks later wouldnt start again, tried the lock trick,no help, tried the ign on off 4 times, still no start. that was with the last owner, then i bought it at a great price,1k.. had it towed home,when the driver left i tried a trick my dad had to use on a couple fords he had. the pull up the gear shift up in park, then it started.... worked normal after that.. so i had to get the muffler fixed and drove it around 50 miles stopping at different places, no problem... then the next day no start, no matter what i do... now i'm stuck home again..i had the battery charged, just in case it was too low. still no start.. i hear the fuel pump turn on..it only has 101,000 on it. i got a Haynes manual, now i'm really lost....
i hope somebody has fairly inexspensive fix, i'm on a fixed income...

thanks,
doug

oh yeah, when it was running i went to auto zone to have them scan it... no codes besides the abs, said the left rear sensor was not working..

Last edited by 98gm; 04-06-2013 at 22:47. Reason: forgor to mention
98gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 98 gm cranks but no start

Check the transmission position sensor, if the car doesn't think it's in park, it won't start.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32   #3 (permalink)
My 1st GM

i forgot to mention that the last guy put it in neutral one time and that worked. the motor cranks when its in park and neutral,and it wont crank in r or drive. could that still be the tps? and how do i check the tps? it was his daily driver, he had no problems till it got really cold out..
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Shouldn't start in D or R only neutral or park .At least that's how it works over here .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:05   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

conflicting.... If it CRANKS BUT DOESN'T START, from any vehicle I've ever seen that happen.... it has nothing to do with being in park or neutral (neutral safety switch)
Fill me in if I'm wrong.
So does this vehicle crank or not?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
My 1st GM

it has no problem cranking,never did..i only made the statement that it wouldnt crank in d or r. to me that says the switch is working correctly, i was asking how else to test the tps. sorry for the confusion..
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

If the car cranks, it's NOT the neutral switch. I think it was just a fluke that the car started when "the last guy put it in neutral". It probably would have started in park anyway.

You need to start with basics. Determine if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you do, check for ignition. If you don't (have fuel pressure) and your fuel pump is running, check for a plugged fuel filter or a plugged "sock" (the fuel strainer at the tip of the fuel line on the pump in the tank).

If the problem is ignition related, then it gets more complex to diagnose, but we can go there next, if that's the problem.

Refresh my memory, do '98's have coil packs, or COP, ignitions?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55   #8 (permalink)
My 1st GM

its COP.. i've got a mech coming over to take a look.. but, its storming out all this week and my car is outside, so i'll have to wait till its done raining....if its not one thing its another ..lol I had a guy that was going to look at it yesterday, but when he asked me where the plugs where at, i knew he had no knowledge of the 4.6...i told him to step back..
Old 04-08-2013, 16:13   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

Well, since it cranks fine, I'm all for starting with the basics as mentioned.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

It's miserable trying to work in bad weather. I hope your weather clears up soon.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71