98 grand marquis Ls will not start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35   #1 (permalink)

98 grand marquis Ls will not start

The 98 Grand marquis Ls 4.6 in question was running without a problem on the 30 minute drive home last night. And has been running without a problem for the last year I’ve been driving it other than a battery light that would turn on occasionally….
I went to start it back up about 30 minutes after parking and it started but was bogging down a bit at idle. Tried to pull off and it could hardly get up the driveway. Turned off the engine and tried to restart and ran for a minute or so but was really weak, bogging down worse. It died after a minute or two of idling and currently refuses to start. I thought it might be a battery issue as the battery light had been on and off (despite checking the battery multiple times at advance) so I changed the battery to a fresh one I store for another car, no good. The car cranks hard but won’t start. I dont know if this matters as I'm pretty sure the car has coil packs but it's really snowy here, I dunno if that could affect anything or not.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for? Where I should start? Was the battery light trying to tell me something?
I dont think the plugs have been changed in at least 3 years, could this just be a plug issue?

Thanks in advance
theevilporpois is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 08:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 98 grand marquis Ls will not start

You might need spark plugs, but that's not what's causing the no start. Listen for the fuel pump to run a few sconds when you turn the key to the run position. If you hear it, check for fuel at thefuel injector rail. Then check for spark at one of the coils. Pull one of the coil packs, get an extra plug to put in the coil. have someone crank it to see if it sparks. That should let you know if it's fuel or spark. If you don't hear the fuel pump run you can skip the spark check. That mwans the pump probably needs replacement.
Old 01-12-2010, 16:37   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
If you hear it, check for fuel at the fuel injector rail.
Would you need to hook up a pressure gauge to check this or is there an easier way?
floater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:14   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Since the engine wouldn't be hot, you can get a general idea as to the pressure there by just popping the shrader valve on the fuel rail open, momentarily. You don't want to do that when the engine is hot. There's a fire danger with heat and fuel.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02   #5 (permalink)

I checked the fuel pump and I can hear it. Haven't had time yet to check the rail etc yet... Will get back to everyone when I do, either later today or tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for the help!
Old 01-13-2010, 15:27   #6 (permalink)

Checked the fuel rail, no fuel... It's been in the low 20's here, is there a chance water got into the lines and they froze?

What's the next step? Any ideas?

Edit: Just went out to try and listen for the fuel pump again and now I'm thinking I cant hear it... How loud is it? Do you think the fuel pump is bad? The car has ~110,000 miles on it's original fuel pump as far as I know.
Old 01-13-2010, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I fyou take the gas cap off and listen there while someone turns the key to run, you should here it. Once you've heard it, you'll be able to pick up on it easier. The pumps usually last a lot longer then that. Mine's original and I have 153,000 miles. They wear out the quickest if the tank is often run low when the weather is hot. The heated fuel from the return line and ambient temperature takes it's toll.
Old 01-14-2010, 16:34   #8 (permalink)

Listened to it a couple times, one of which I had my ear pressed up against the open gas tank... Nothing. Multiple tries and nothing.

Is there a relay or fuse that I should check? Where is it located? What's the next step before replacing the fuel pump?
Old 01-14-2010, 17:28   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you checked the fuel filter?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 18:00   #10 (permalink)

No, where is it? How should I check it? That would be a huge relief if it were just the fuel filter....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71