98 Grand Marquis is Terrible in the Winter! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 20:07   #1 (permalink)

mad 98 Grand Marquis is Terrible in the Winter!

I had a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS which is the base version. The combination of rear wheel drive, no anti-lock braking system, no traction control, and no stability control makes this car the absolute worst thing to drive in the winter.

I managed to spin out of control on the expressway and slam into a cement median. The back end just slide out and I lost control of the car. I got very lucky because nobody hit me and I didn't hit anybody else.

When I hit the cement median (front end crash) the air bags went off and I didn't even need them. As we know these cars are built like tanks. I really didn't feel much of an impact when I hit the wall.

My insurance company deemed it a total loss. I was really upset with myself because I just put on brand new tires and put on new shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers in the rear. The car only had 56,000 miles on it.

Question: For those of you with traction control and anti-lock brakes, do you have any major problems driving in winter conditions?

Based on my experience I don't recommend a CV or GM without traction control or ABS.
GoBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 11:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 Grand Marquis is Terrible in the Winter!

Question: For those of you with traction control and anti-lock brakes, do you have any major problems driving in winter conditions?

I had a 93 CV where one year the traction control quit. A few sandbags in the trunk and a pair of aggressive snow tires and it was pretty good for going uphill, not ideal but I didn't get stuck. Wasn't the best stopper because the ABS went out with the T/C.

Now I've got a 99 GM with traction and ABS. Car came with Goodyear all seasons, they stink. I've ordered a pair of studded Winterforce. I had those on a 70's camaro once and as you might know camaros are really bad in snow. Yet those tires didn't let me down. I also have a Mustang GT with 4 Blizzaks. It goes uphill better when I shut OFF the traction control but those tires are still like skis, just too wide. This winter I tried to back out the driveway and the car just slide perfectly sideways. Steers and stops as long as its not icy or packed snow. fresh dry snow is pretty reasonable traction. Car is parked for the winter, however.

So based on the range of bad snow cars I've had, I'd say the tires are the singlemost important thing in snow. ABS being right behind it. T/C... I'm not convinced its mandatory. Narrow tires are better than wider ones.

The thing about T/C is that in addition to applying the brakes it also reduces engine power, so if you're headed up a steep slippery hill the car loses power and therefor momentum and you just slowly cease going forward, even though your tires aren't spinning. What good is that? There are times when its better to just power thru a situation, but you should know how to drive thru a power skid and know how your car reacts under sudden traction loss.
mojo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 18:46   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Mojo for the tips. I'm considering getting a 2004 CV LX Sport. I just don't want to have the same problems in winter again. I'm hoping the ABS, traction control and snow tires do the trick. Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:28   #4 (permalink)

My studded tires will be installed in a few days. After the next good snow I'll let you know how they are. But if you have a choice between T/C-ABS and not...its better to have it.

A tire dealer told me studded tires will take out the ABS system and they wanted me to sign a liability waiver. I checked with JustAnswer.com and was told no problem. I found another tire dealer.

A few weeks ago I was looking at a GS w/o the traction, was really tempted cuz it was otherwise a sweet low miles car. Kept looking and found this LS, a lot more car but had to drive 150 miles to get it was but was worth the trip. Well 3 trips actually, when I picked it up the alternator blew after ONE mile! Dealer installed new one even though car was not warranteed, egg on face I guess. I had to come back a week later. Lucky for me in the long run, free alt. Same price, higher mileage but def worth it. Look around, they are out there.
My only complaint is that the T/C override button is in the glove box, more than inconvenient. I'll see about relocating it.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
Ozzy

I have driven many of winters in my cars from an 87 Vic to a 93 marquis, all u have to do it put some snow tires on and put weight in the back and nothing will stop that car.
Old 01-26-2009, 17:13   #6 (permalink)

My 96 Grand Marquis with no ABS/traction control was terrific in Michigan winters with the set of Dunlop snowtires I had mounted front and rear on it. With my extra set of LX Sport wheels with all season tires, it wouldn't move. I transfered these tires onto an extra set of Mustang wheels for my 2007 Mustang V6/5 Speed Manual, and it has been outstanding in the snow. I even drove to northern MI to go snowmobiling with my friends and made it through some pretty bad snow storms (several inches on the ground), including 60-70 mph freeway covered in snow driving. With my stock "all season" tires, it won't move in a few inches of snow. I don't put weight in the trunk on either; the snow tires do the job. One thing I don't understand is only putting snow tires on the rear; I like to be able to steer and stop in the snow as well as go.
colognecapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28   #7 (permalink)

So now they're mounted and we had snow. I live in a really hilly area with some long long uphills. That was my concern, making it up. The studdeds did very well. Like the mustang it seems to go uphill better w/o the TC. Its good to feel those studs digging in, OK the tires are spinning but the car kept moving. That's the trick, maintain some momentum. My feeling is that TC is good for those sudden slips where you don't really have the chance to react, and for cornering on level slippery ground. But for long climbs I like it better w/o the TC. I made it up this one hill that, last week, with M&S tires, made me turn around.
I did a few panic stops to test and the car stopped OK with no pull or slide.

On drive pavement they are noisy... but that's what your radio is for. Dry handling is not too bad but I didn't push it. Its a trade off. For a few months its liveable.

There you have it, before and after. So look for at least ABS, TC is nice to have but you can still drive without it, if you get some studded tires.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:12   #8 (permalink)

I have a 2000 with antilock and TC but ordanary all seasons, We've had a very snowy winter this year in Boston and I've been getting around fine. In the past when I've had to stop on hills or get out of a snowed in parking lot I turn the TC off. It is great for highway driving and around town on snow when traffic is light and I can maintain foward motion. All that being said I still plan my routes and parking to lesson the chance of getting stuck. Never got stuck in my 88 Caprice either.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:02   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 98 Grand Marquis is Terrible in the Winter!

You don't really need studded tires, just a good snow tire. Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best ones around. I don't own a Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis or Town Car, but I own a 06 Charger R/T RWD. The factory Goodyear tires are practically useless in the winter, especially uphill, shutting of stability control didn't help whatsoever. I put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires and what a difference. Haven't gotten stuck once. Don't even bother shutting off the stability control either. Those of you without TCS even with snow tires you have to be methodical about driving in the snow. Not too much throttle when trying to get unstuck.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:30   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the tips. It sounds like winter tires, some weight in the trunk, and not driving like an idiot are the keys to getting by in the winter.

I'm sad to see my car go. I was obviously driving too fast for the conditions. I was a little over confident because I just had the car back from the shop and it felt like a different car.

My number one lesson is to slow down. Here are some pictures. I had a heck of a time posting these. The attachment feature didn't seem to work. These are also in my gallery.

Driver Side
[IMG][/IMG]

Front View
[IMG][/IMG]

Passenger Side
[IMG][/IMG]

Back View
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71