Advice: looking at '99 Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05   #1 (permalink)

Advice: looking at '99 Grand Marquis

I need some advice on a '99 Grand Marquis I may buy.
I would like to know what potential problem areas I should be looking for, and what can be expected in terms of reliability from the car. Also, what do you think a fair price might be?
The car is a '99 GS with 41K miles. It looks like a typical car driven by an older gentleman: very clean with a couple of small scrapes. The undercarriage and engine look very clean. The asking price is 7500.
From what I've read so far, the intake manifolds can be problematic. how do i tell if this has already been upgraded to the replacement?
mgouras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Advice: looking at '99 Grand Marquis

Intake Manifold is the biggest thing you need to look at. The new and improved design has an alluminum cross over on the front of it. Look behind the alternator and its bracket, you're looking for the T-Stat housing and the rest of the front of the intake to be alluminum. If it's plastic it's the old design which is prone to cracking. You could obviously use that as a way to knock the price down. Ford has a recall but it's only valid for 7 years after production date so it's too late for that '99. The all plastic one is prone to cracking right at the T-Stat housing, so look for leaks in the valley between the two banks if the vehicle still has an all plastic one. If it does have an all plastic one and there are no leaks don't be too freaked out as my all plastic one on my '98 Vic has 160k miles on it. As stated before I would use it as a way to knock the price down and look into changing it when convienent for you. The price their asking sounds fair.
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44   #3 (permalink)

96-2000 Ford 4.6 New Intake Manifold Kit $235 - 329-01514

Here's a pic of one with the alluminum cross over. Not a great pic but will show you what you're looking for. As you see it's all plastic as well but has the alluminum cross over in the front.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. That helps.
mgouras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31   #5 (permalink)

No problem. This website is good, but I would check out Crownvic.net as well for online advice. That site specifically deals with all Ford Panther vehicles: Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars. They have many tech write-ups and mod threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71