Air conditioning or motor fan problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 13:29   #1 (permalink)

Air conditioning or motor fan problem

More problems for my 98 vicky.When I drive without the climate control on,no problems,no overheating.However when I turn it on on a hot day (75-85) it runs great for about 20 minutes then the air goes off and the motor fan stops running and the motor overheats.I shut the climate control off, wait 15 min and then the motor fan turns on when I restart the car after cooling with the hood up.As long as I drive with the climate control off there is no problem.I think the two are related,air conditioning controling the motor fan.Could it be the two switches in the air conditioning lines or bad fan temp sensor.Doesn't sound like compressor problems,the air is cold when working.Had the air con system purged then checked for leaks(none) and new coolent,still same problem.Anyone got some ideas?Thanks.Will reply when I get back from surgery.
larrchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 19:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Air conditioning or motor fan problem

I think it's as simple as you need a new cooling fan motor. The fan motor is a multispeed unit and there should be a relay that kicks in the high speed when you turn on the AC and it probably can't handle the high speed anymore. Good luck
no_common_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Setting still with the engine on, as soon as the compressor kicks in, the fan should turn on "very" soon after that
Old 07-15-2010, 13:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_common_sens View Post
I think it's as simple as you need a new cooling fan motor. The fan motor is a multispeed unit and there should be a relay that kicks in the high speed when you turn on the AC and it probably can't handle the high speed anymore. Good luck
No common sense.
I does turn on fast when when I turn on the climate control ,it's when it runs for a while then the air turns warm and the fan shuts off then the motor overheats.It won't come back on until the car cools down for 15 min,then everything works fine until I turn on the climate control again..
Old 07-15-2010, 13:58   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Setting still with the engine on, as soon as the compressor kicks in, the fan should turn on "very" soon after that
It does Bert,every time.It's when it runs after 15-20 min that the fan and air turn off, and naturually the motor heats up.I turn the air off. wait 15 min,then start car,fan runs normally until I turn on the air,repeat problem.
Old 07-15-2010, 14:47   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

How can you tell the fan on the radiator stops? Are you checking this setting still?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25   #7 (permalink)

I can hear it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58   #8 (permalink)

My mechanic thinks the A/C cycling switch or low pressure cutoff switch might be part of the problem as these affect the running of the electric/condenser radiator fan.Could also be clutch wear on the compressor.This link on the p71 interceptor site describes a similar problem like I have.

Ford Crown Victoria A/C R134a Refrigerant Refill

I'll have to wait until my mechanic gets back from vacation.
Old 07-19-2010, 13:18   #9 (permalink)

UPDATE
I found a burnt and corroded terminal on the connector that goes to the electric fan.It appears to be the low speed side of the fan which works with the A/C.I may have found my problem!Will let you know.It's still as hot as H---L here in southern Ontario,too hot for an old man!I need my air!
Old 07-19-2010, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That has happened before. Hope you found it with that.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71