Airbag Failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07   #1 (permalink)

Airbag Failure

My airbag light has been on for about a year. The code is B2293 and the flash code is 21, which means Driver's Side Airbag or the wiring going to it. I've had it looked at and it seems that an electical check indicates an improper reading on the driver's airbag but fine on the passenger airbag. This is only a 2001 car. How odd is it that an airbag just goes bad due to electrical failure in the internal wiring of the bag? It's an expensive fix I probably won't do.
Bob1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Airbag Failure

Has it been checked by a tech, that said that's what it is? The clockspring is a moving item that can be flexed and cause a problem. Also the wiring to the system. Did the light come on suddenly or intermittantly at first?

2293 can be caused by:

A: Wiring, terminals, or connectors.
B: Driver air bag sub-harness.
C: A faulty clockspring.
D: A faulty driver air bag module.
C: A faulty RCM.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:30   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Has it been checked by a tech, that said that's what it is? The clockspring is a moving item that can be flexed and cause a problem. Also the wiring to the system. Did the light come on suddenly or intermittantly at first?

2293 can be caused by:

A: Wiring, terminals, or connectors.
B: Driver air bag sub-harness.
C: A faulty clockspring.
D: A faulty driver air bag module.
C: A faulty RCM.
It was checked by a mechanic. Flash code 21 rules out the clockspring. He did wiring checks and determined that it's the wiring within the bag itself that is causing the problem. I don't know how he isolated the problem to the bag, but I have no reason to doubt his conclusion. It seems odd though that something sitting within the steering column could go bad, especially considering the replacement cost. You'd think that this part would be manufactured to withstand the test of time. I'm just asking if this is very unusual or not for an 8 year-old car?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:52   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That list I gave is from the Ford Manual. They must think the clockspring can go bad. The tool that gets plugged in to test it takes the place of the ai bag and if it shows good with the tool, that would prove it's the air bag for sure. If the thinks it's the bag itself, try switching it with a good one. I've never seen an air bag go bad.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That list I gave is from the Ford Manual. They must think the clockspring can go bad. The tool that gets plugged in to test it takes the place of the ai bag and if it shows good with the tool, that would prove it's the air bag for sure. If the thinks it's the bag itself, try switching it with a good one. I've never seen an air bag go bad.
He thought the clockspring was the culprit and changed it a few months ago at his expense, although I advised him that Flash Code 21 does not indicate a bad clockspring, and that the horn and cruise control do not work with a bad clockspring.

The new airbag will go about $500 plus installation, and I'm not ready to go there right now.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When the system is checked, the airbag tool is connected where the airbag is connected. That would show that the airbag is definitely the problem. When the tool is installed in place of the airbag, everything up to there is proven okay. Did they have the tools for that test? It takes 2 total.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
When the system is checked, the airbag tool is connected where the airbag is connected. That would show that the airbag is definitely the problem. When the tool is installed in place of the airbag, everything up to there is proven okay. Did they have the tools for that test? It takes 2 total.
I don't know, but I'll ask him tomorrow when he's checking over the engine. If not I suppose I could take it to a Ford dealer and have them check. Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2009, 16:10   #8 (permalink)

clockspring can give airbag code and still provide power for horn and cruise. Inside there is kind a plastic roll with press-in wires. Two wires get in touch, or one open - different resistance - airbag code out.
seen many cases like this.
I'll give 90% possibility for clockspring.
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 16:43   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginolena View Post
clockspring can give airbag code and still provide power for horn and cruise. Inside there is kind a plastic roll with press-in wires. Two wires get in touch, or one open - different resistance - airbag code out.
seen many cases like this.
I'll give 90% possibility for clockspring.
It was already replaced, but since the garage insisted and I didn't they ate the cost and installation. I kind of felt bad about that, but it wasn't my fault.
Old 10-25-2009, 16:48   #10 (permalink)

))
when you plug-in the clocksring and connect it to the airbag (without assembling) - light should go away.
If not - why they replaced clockspring?..
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71