Ford Forums banner

Are all carriers created equal?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Is there only the one carrier for the 8.8's, or is there a breakover point somewhere for different gear ratios like the big ones?
Thanks

#2 ·
Not 100% sure of what you're asking... but I'll shoot just to see if I hit something. The 8.8 comes in 2.26 all the way down to 5.14. They came with a 31 spline axle shaft and a 28 spline axle shaft. Yours is most likely a 28 spline. The 28 spline cases are pretty much the same, until you get to 4.45:1 where the cross shaft is modified to accept the bigger ring gear. Diven that your posting in this particular forum, I really don't think you'll be needing something as low as 4.45:1 (or lower) unless you're building a gasser.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply,
What I'm after here is I have a chance to purchase a "new in the box, old stock " posi carrier (AL3Z-4026- A) ... 31 spline...
I'd like to put it in my 2006 Grand Marquis (31 spline?) and retain my 2.73 gears, but haven't found if they are the same for all gearsets, so far sounds like they are.....
Any info is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.