alt question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 21:02   #1 (permalink)

alt question

well for a while there, my alt light would come on (amps light) and turn off while driving or revving the engine, now its always on... no charging either

Im guessing its time for a new alt, brushes ha ve allready been replaced, but I may have put the belt on too tight

My question is how do you know the correct tension to tighten the belt at????

gotta get my car runnin again before I can do it up
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 23:53   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: alt question

You should be able to push the belt .25-.50 inches in the 2 farthest away points. As for the alt and power steering pump, I push between them towards crank pulley. As for the AC pump and Emissions pump I check right between them towards crank pulley. And another tip, when you get the new alt have the store check it before you take it. Auto Zone gave me 2 duds (duralast) alts. Its a 65 amp, there is a police 100 amp that'll fit, but you don't really need it.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:56   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
You should be able to push the belt .25-.50 inches in the 2 farthest away points. As for the alt and power steering pump, I push between them towards crank pulley. As for the AC pump and Emissions pump I check right between them towards crank pulley. And another tip, when you get the new alt have the store check it before you take it. Auto Zone gave me 2 duds (duralast) alts. Its a 65 amp, there is a police 100 amp that'll fit, but you don't really need it.
I might end up getting a police amp and voltage regulator just because im running a stereo, not sure yet though. as of now I only have enough for the small alt
Old 09-13-2004, 13:42   #4 (permalink)

Got the "new" alt
ended up getting a junkyard alt. No idea if its a 100 or 60 amp one though they look the same on the outside to me. all I had to do was change pulleys put it in and run the car for about 10 mins and it was charging at about 14.3
14.3 with stereo and with stereo and lights its about 14.2

looks like I got a good one
Old 09-14-2004, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
That guy

the alt puts out 15 volt, .7-.9 is for engine running, rest for accesories. Now its easy to know the amp, If its the same size as you took out then its a 65, if its larger then its a 100. Your new radio will not pull any more amps then the orginal one, only if you increased the speakers by 200 watts each. All regulators are the same back in the 70s and 80s. Just in mid 80s the plugs changed. Also a remaufactured one from autozone is $65.95 over here.

Old 09-14-2004, 16:44   #6 (permalink)

Well my stereo does pull a lot more power than the old does, its a 52w X4 headunit and a 550watt amp (those are max power) and sometimes when the bass hits, the amp light will flicker...

Is it the case that would be larger, and on my new voltage regulator it says get a different 1 for 100amp and above
Old 09-15-2004, 13:29   #7 (permalink)
That guy

It shouldn't flicker. How did you wire it all? I have a pionier (or how ever you spell it) and it 60w X 4 with (2) 600w amps and 14" subs in the back at 1000w each, its on a plate thats detachable. I have a duel wire set up with double plugs so I can hook up the subs/amps plate or remove it to use the trunk. I have a regukar duralast 65 amp with internal regulator (86-91 65amp alts). If you just hooked the radio and amps to a simple 12V supply will cause flickering, if you hook all the wire up to the stock radios positive and negative side it will not flicker cause its hooked to the alt (follow the wire and you'll see), the more radio you use, the more amps the alt regulator will supply to the radio system. Thats what a regulator does, hook it up wrong can hurt it or cause inproper operations.

Old 09-15-2004, 16:16   #8 (permalink)

Head unit is hooked up to stock power
Amp is direct to the battery ... but I have found a lot of bare, stripped and burnt wires in the harness, im sure theres more that could be causing problems
Old 09-15-2004, 19:02   #9 (permalink)

Seems that the AMP light only comes on at a fast idle... or when engine is revved. not while car is idling warmed up

Weird... anyone have any advice here???
Old 09-15-2004, 23:13   #10 (permalink)
That guy

new alt and regulator!! I'd really not trust junkyard unless warentied or says remanufactured. At a fast idle or revved it should have more amps along with volts. I really suggest you put a amp meter in it, I got one you can have for $8 shipped, its black faced with black stamped holder, new. I got 3 or 4 of them. Or if you know of a harbor frieght they sell a 3 gauge pack for $14.99-$20.00 www.harborfreight.com . As for regular alts, new 65 amp alt for 1979-1985 with external regulator is $35-$40 over here and a regulator is $7-$15, prices from murrays, autozone, advanced auto, and napa. Autozone was cheapest. Also, tie up any loose end (bear, burnt wires), there a possible fire or shorting problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71