Any Engine Oil Flush or Technique Really Work? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Any Effective Engine Oil Flush Preference?
Gumout 1 4.35%
Gunk 2 8.70%
K&W 2 8.70%
Amsoil 1 4.35%
Seafoam 9 39.13%
Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 4.35%
Kerosene 1 4.35%
Other - Please specify 2 8.70%
Skip 'em all - they do more harm than good! 4 17.39%
Rebuild or part-it-out, there's no easy solution! 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 07:04   #1 (permalink)

Any Engine Oil Flush or Technique Really Work?

I appear to have a pretty serious sludge problem in my '93 Crown Vic (mostly from an extended storage). Now that the damage is done, I'm trying to find a product, method or technique to dissolve and otherwise remove this sludge from my engine. I see a multitude of products by Amsoil, Gunk, Gumout, K&W, Seafoam, etc. not to mention ATF and kerosene, but do any of these products work better than the others at cleaning a gunked up engine?

SciFiArtMan
'93 Crown Vic w/84k
SciFiArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 09:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Any Engine Oil Flush or Technique Really Work?

I recommand seafoam, from everybody that has used it told me it worked the best out of everything they have ever used.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:57   #3 (permalink)

I've used a product called AutoRX. My engine was already real clean, but since I'm a tad anal, I tried it anyway. Works well from what I can tell. Many people on other boards have tried this stuff and just seem to love it. I found out about it on bobistheoilguy.com....before I got kicked off for an unrelated argument. You can look this product up on the web and read all about it. It's a very informative web site.
scabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 23:06   #4 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiArtMan
I appear to have a pretty serious sludge problem in my '93 Crown Vic (mostly from an extended storage). Now that the damage is done, I'm trying to find a product, method or technique to dissolve and otherwise remove this sludge from my engine. I see a multitude of products by Amsoil, Gunk, Gumout, K&W, Seafoam, etc. not to mention ATF and kerosene, but do any of these products work better than the others at cleaning a gunked up engine?

SciFiArtMan
'93 Crown Vic w/84k
The best thing to do is remove the valve covers and ram a stick or gun bore brush down the return holes in the block and then remove the oil pan and scrape out the sludge. Then clean the return holes with a solvent. Clean the pan with solvent also.Reinstall the valve covers and oil pan,fill with cheap oil and an engine flush(any kind, their all basically the same)start and let run for about 5 minutes,drain oil pan,replace the oil filter,fill with 1 pint marvel mystery oil and the rest with a good quality motor oil. If you do this , and keep the oil changed regularly, you will not have a sludge problem ever again. Even if it gets stored again. The marvel mystery oil will not let the oil break down as readily.
ryoder
92 Crown Vic(police package)218k
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:10   #5 (permalink)

Well, I used SeaFoam in my engine the other day and it definitely did something. I tend to think all these products are roughly the same, but SeaFoam didn't appear to do any harm and has made my engine oil pressure improve a little. So, even though I can't vote in this poll, if I could I'd vote for SeaFoam too.

SciFiArtMan
'93 Crown Vic w/84k
SciFiArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 13:53   #6 (permalink)

i once had a grand prix that had that problem....after 5 min the oil light would come on....i drained the oil and refilled except for one quart. to top it off i used diesel fuel.....i would start the car and let it run till the light came on. It took about a week trying this 3x's a day and low and behold the light stayed out.put about 100miles on the car...drained the again with the good stuff and never had the problem again.....why didnt i try it more often ??? 40 to 60 below wind chill for about ten days straight.....
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 00:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiArtMan

SciFiArtMan
'93 Crown Vic w/84k
the products do work and maybe to well in your case. reason being if it is really sludged up after you use the product it can free up that much sludge it can block the oil pump pick up strainer. and yes i have seen this happen quite a few times.so if it is really sludged up the best way is to use a shell diesal engine oil as they have great detergent qaulities. 3 times more than normal engine oil. and change your oil every 2-3 thousand km with a filter. this will work i have seen great results with no damage.its a slow process but it works. the alternative is to try the flush and cross your fingers it doesn't block the strainer, because if it does you lose oil pressure straight away. so inturn if you turn it off quik enough you will need a towtruck to a workstation then have the sump pulled off and clean the strainer and refitt it and hope it doesn't block up again. i have seen it plenty so the slow process is the safe way if it is really sludged
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
Rd hawk

i have seenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1 View Post
the products do work and maybe to well in your case. reason being if it is really sludged up after you use the product it can free up that much sludge it can block the oil pump pick up strainer. and yes i have seen this happen quite a few times.so if it is really sludged up the best way is to use a shell diesal engine oil as they have great detergent qaulities. 3 times more than normal engine oil. and change your oil every 2-3 thousand km with a filter. this will work i have seen great results with no damage.its a slow process but it works. the alternative is to try the flush and cross your fingers it doesn't block the strainer, because if it does you lose oil pressure straight away. so inturn if you turn it off quik enough you will need a towtruck to a workstation then have the sump pulled off and clean the strainer and refitt it and hope it doesn't block up again. i have seen it plenty so the slow process is the safe way if it is really sludged
Rd hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 15:05   #9 (permalink)

There are only two ways to deal with this.

1.) Stick with conventional oil and change oil and filter every 3k.

2.) Do an autorx treatment.

The 93's had bad valve stem seals. The varnish is helping to seal what is left of them, so if you don;t mind on changing them, use the autorx. If this is a job you don't want to do, then just change the oil and the engine will still outlast the frame.

00' Crown Vic Police Interceptor (P71) w/Steet apperance package, 104K

91' Lincoln Town Car - Executive Series, 3.27's, Nice Leather Interior, 106K
Fordiesel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71