Any ideas as to what could be wrong with my car? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 15:18   #1 (permalink)

Any ideas as to what could be wrong with my car?

I have a '95 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Sorry this will be long .. but here's what's happened:

5/28 ~ I was waiting behind another car in the drive-thru pharmacy. As I was wating, all of a sudden the whole car shook, once. Everything seemed to be fine, until it was my turn. The car wouldn't go. I shut it off, restarted it & the finally the car went lunging forward & it was shaking & sputtering. Decided to forget about the prescription & just pulled ahead. Sat there for a moment trying to decide whether I should park it there & call a tow truck or drive it home. I only live about a mile away & had all 3 children with me, so I drove it home carefully with the flashers on. It shook & sputtered about half of the way & then seemed "ok". Parked it in the driveway. I opened the hood to see if there was anything noticeably wrong, & the only thing different was the fact that I was missing a cap on the coolant resevoir (not the actual radiator -- the plastic bottle where you check fluid & fill it up). Got ahold of my Dad & had the car towed to his friends shop.

My Dad's friend had it for a few days, changed the fuel filter, spark plugs & a few other little things but really couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Car seemed to be running fine but then just up & quit on my Dad as he was driving it back to his house (I was going to pick it up there later that evening). He'd been driving the car for about 45 minutes & was almost home. After waiting about 10 mins he got the car started back up & drove it the rest of the way to his house (about 2 miles). Towed the car back to his friends shop.

Had the car diagnosed (check engine light had been on -- EGR sensor code -- since shortly after I purchased the car in October, but hadn't put the required part on because he said it wasn't absolutely necessary), then replace the entire EGR system, checked the fuel pressure (38lbs), etc. Thought everything was fixed & fine, again.

6/5 ~ Husband drove it home & it ran great all the way. We went out later that evening to run a few small errands. When we came out of Best Buy, the car wouldn't start. After about 6 tries, it finally started & we came home without any further problems.

6/6 ~ Drove the car around all morning/afternoon doing various errands & things with our children. Car seemed to be running great. Then the check engine light came back on, but everything else seemed to still be fine. About 45 minutes later (though we'd been out & about ALL DAY), the car just up & quit in the middle of the expressway. It just wouldn't "go". Luckily my hubby was able to coast it onto the little side area before it completely died. Tried to restart it, no luck. Got the children out & across the on ramps safely & called to have it towed. While we were waiting for the tow truck to arrive, hubby went & tried to start the car again since it'd been sitting for at least 15 minutes. Wouldn't start. Had the car towed to Pep Boys this time (they've done other work on the car in the past so I am very confident in them).

6/7 ~ Pep Boys had the car all day. No idea what's wrong with it, said it's "running like a top". Explained the situation to several different techs, several different times since I kept calling every few hours to check the status. They were letting the car idle/run for awhile to see if they could get it to quit or show any problem.

6/8 ~ Pretty much the same as yesterday. When I last talked to one of the techs at 1:15pm, they were in the middle of looking at it & would call me as soon as they found out something. It's 4:13pm & I've yet to hear back.

Any ideas??

I'd love to just go get the car back .. but I can't have it stranding myself & my children again & again.

MercMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 15:29   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Any ideas as to what could be wrong with my car?

Hi MercMomof3.

Im going to move your post to the Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis section.

Thanks,, James
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 19:34   #3 (permalink)

it sounds like you have kept the car pretty mechanically sound. the only things you have not replaced that could cause the issues you mentioned are:
-bad iac
-bad egr
-vacuum leak
-for problems starting, check the wires leading into the starter. they tend to get loose.

on your model year car, check the connector attached to the egr for a vacuum leak. they tend to crack with age. let us know how it goes.

2000 HPP Mods
My Tires
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 23:43   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your response!

To continue with what seems to be a never-ending saga...

Pep Boys basically just wasted my time & claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. My Dad went & picked it up for me & it quit less than 2 miles down the road.

My Dad & the tow truck driver (guess you could call them friends, somewhat) did some tests to it & came to the conclusion that it was the fuel pump. Friend of tow truck driver suppossedly fixed it (kind of a fishy story so we're not really sure what he did -- but we're going to find out) & my Dad kept the car for a few days to make sure that was the case. All was going great, he took it out & around running errands all day ... & then the car just quit, AGAIN.

My car is now at yet ANOTHER shop (had it towed there this morning), so I'll pass the info on & hopefully they will be able to fix it this time. They service the police cars for a local school district, so they are pretty familiar with these types of cars.

I am so anxious to get my car back & drive her! LOL

Old 08-25-2008, 05:00   #5 (permalink)

have your dad change the main fuel filter .it located right rear below door .before axle
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47   #6 (permalink)

It turned out to be the computer (& fuel pump).

Thanks for your responses!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71