ATC is Blowing Hot Air in 2000 MGM LS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 14:40   #1 (permalink)

mad ATC is Blowing Hot Air in 2000 MGM LS

Hello People,

This is my 1st post in here!
I ve been brought by the following issue...

My 2000 LS MGM's ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) is blowing hot air. It is switching from FLOOR to FLR-DEF and to all other directions, but it is NOT switching from HOT to COLD.

So even if its showing 60 degrees on ATC its blowing ONLY HOT.

Two mechanics told me that this is PROBABLY caused by the broken blend door or faulty blend door motor that does not open for COLD air.

One mechanic told me that he is PRETTY SURE this is faulty ATC itself. Meaning Control Unit. Unfortunately, after re-connecting another unit, problem exists.

It took me almost 2 days to remove the dash completely. But I have some questions:

1. Where and how this blend door or blend door motor look like?
2. How to test that this is really faulty (broken)?

If you know what I am talking about, your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
2000LS
2000LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 18:31   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: ATC is Blowing Hot Air in 2000 MGM LS

The blend door most likely activated by a vacume source,and if not ,it is actuated by a micro switch. Get a Haynes manual for your car.This is alot better than trying to explain it on this forum. This way you find out alot of good things about your car and can possibly diagnose a problem when it first shows up. Thats what I did with mine and it's been the best $20 I've spent.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 19:30   #3 (permalink)

thanks ryoder,

The thing is that I looked in the Haynes book for my car yesterday (before removing Instrument Panel) at the local Autozone and to be honest was not impressed. Its $17 but it did not cover, for example, removing I/P. So I decided to skip it. Anyway i want be able to get it for few days until my I/P will be on place.

Instead I ordered CD called "2000 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS CD WORKSHOP REPAIR MANUAL" which covers a lot of stuff. For example, using its 50 step guide I removed I/P successfully, where every step comes with the picture and description to it and what to do. However, it took me anyway about 8 hours to do that.

So when I finally removed I/P I found out myself before question of what to do next? To be honest I was expecting to see some physical damage. I would just replace the part and put damn I/P back. But some things are unclear for me now.

This is what I got to see:

My rough guess that this thingy is A/C Blend Door Actuator:

That door (Actuator's) is hardly moving. Is it suppose to be like that?

Is there any way to test if its (A/C Blend Door Actuator) good or bad one?
Or should I remove it along with the door and inspect for damage?

Thank you in advance,
2000LS
Old 07-28-2006, 18:27   #4 (permalink)

The silver things (I Think ) are the ones that actuate the doors from vent to floor,however, the other probably is the part that shuts off heat and allows cooling.I doubt the doors are broken,it's more than likely the actuators.
Old 07-28-2006, 19:31   #5 (permalink)

Ok, job is done!

Everythng is working just as it suppose to!
Old 07-28-2006, 20:16   #6 (permalink)

Here is the TIP:

If you are complaining that you have no temperature control (with or without a "clicking" sound behind the glove box area) and suspecting temperature blend door actuator you would need to do a:

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module SELF-TEST

- The EATC module SELF-TEST will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.

- The EATC module SELF-TEST will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4º-32ºC (40-90ºF) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.

- The SELF-TEST can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.

- To enter the SELF-TEST, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.

For example, in case when I had faulty A/C Blend Door Actuator I had 024 and 025 codes displayed.

- To exit the SELF-TEST and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.

- Always exit the SELF-TEST before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

When I replaced the faulty Actuator with new one I just did the SELF-TEST one more time. This time I had NO codes but all function symbols displayed at once indicating that I dont have any problem.

I also looked at the Actuator with flash light through glove box and that white tip was slowly moving as I changed temperature.

Good luck to you all,
2000LS

PS. Btw, if some of you (NY or NJ) have similar problem like I had and dont know how to hanlde it I will be more than glad to come to your place and help you out
Old 07-30-2006, 02:13   #7 (permalink)

Glad you found the problem and fixed it ,good work!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 13:41   #8 (permalink)

LS2000 Thankks for the excellent research and tips.
I just bought a 2000 Sable and the ATC started blowing hotair the first time I took the car out for a longer drive.
I followed the procedure you described, got an 025 DTC. Reset the ATC and since the previous owner just replaced the battery last week I was going to disconnect and re-connect it because the AAA guy that replaced his the battery asked him specifically in the AC was working. Before disconnecting, I decided to try the AC again.
Came on like gangbusters. The onboard ATC controller must have gotten its marbles jarred when the battery was disconnected, all it took was a reset.
Good job in documenting you trials and tribulations and THANKS again!
marvan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71