ATF Change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 17:37   #1 (permalink)

ATF Change

I am planning on changing the atf in my 05. I was justgoing to pull the pan and change the filter, but I would also like to drain the torque converter. Does the 05 still have the drain plug? I was also just going to use a plain old mercon V fluid.
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: ATF Change

They quit putting drain plugs in the convertor in about 2002. Mercon V is the proper fluid to use. There is a way to get more out by removing a cooler line and run the engine until the fluid slows down. Here's a little information on a Taurus forum but it would be similar. How To Flush Your Tranny At Home - Taurus Car Club of America
From anther site.
"Remove the line in to the cooler and connect a piece of hose to it, then start the engine and pump the fluid into a 5 gal bucket(use two buckets if you like)... Once the flow stops, shut it down and service the pan...When the pan is back in place, add 6-7 quarts, then start the engine and run until the color of the fluid flowing into the bucket changes to the new fluid... If it stops flowing before it changes color, shut it off and add 3-4 more quarts then run it again... Once you have finished, reconnect the cooler line, restart and add fluid as necessary...Leave it approx a 1/2 quart low till l it's up to temperature(30 min or more)and top it off... Done..."
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17   #3 (permalink)

Do you know if I should pull the line off hte driver or passenger side of the cooler? Not sure which one is the supply.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:17   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They don't go into the radiator, it's a separate cooler in front. of the radiator. I believe it's the top line. At our shop we had a machine for the job. You can take one off and connect a line to both ends. Fluid will come out the trans side or the cooler side it wouldn't matter, just to get more old fluid out.
Old 12-05-2010, 19:18   #5 (permalink)

ok thanks again
Old 12-05-2010, 19:59   #6 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

Bert, my 2005 CVPI has 180,xxx miles on it. I don't know for sure if the transmission has ever been flushed or the filter changed. My fluid has good color, no burnt smell, and doesn't appear very dirty, so I assume it probably was flushed once before... maybe while in service. I've had bad experiences in the past with having an automatic transmission flushed... even with good color... where the transmission was never right again, or would never move the car again. What do you think? Is there a good risk my '05's gearbox would never be the same again if I got it flushed soon?

Cheers,
- The Doctor
Old 12-05-2010, 20:20   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Since it's been in Police service, they're usually serviced regularly. In our fleet, we did them every 30,000 miles. Yours probably was too. You could call the agency and check. I've never ahd a problem changing the fluid on my vehicles. If the fluid looks good at that mileage, I'd say it was serviced. When it's brownish and a little thicker, I wouldn't know how it would turn out.
Old 12-05-2010, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

Well, do you think I should risk it? I'd be getting it done at the Ford dealer... because if it for whatever cocked up my transmission when the current fluid is in that good of condition, they would probably be liable for repairs. Or at least, that's how it should be... I can understand if I was bringing in a car who's ATF was brown and smelled horrible... but I'm not.

Cheers,
- The Doctor
Old 12-05-2010, 21:37   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd get it done. That way you'll know when to change it next time.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59   #10 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

See http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71