Axle Tube Gouged - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 12:15   #1 (permalink)

Axle Tube Gouged

So I pulled the Axle Shaft out of her, 2004 CVPI, and the bearing was incredibly shot. Really horrible looking, barely had to pull her out she was hanging loose in the tube. But the part I am really interested in is, there is now a groove worn into the axle tube itself, its enough to "feel it" maybe 1/8th inch to 1/4 of an inch deep. Its only worn in one part, but is it safe for me to push in a new bearing and seal, ill obviously need to replace the axle itself.

With this damage do I have to replace the entire rear-end? Or can I buy a new axle shaft and bearing/seal her back up??

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...x1/groovey.jpg
Kithrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 12:47   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Axle Tube Gouged

It's hard to tell by the picture. Try another shot. Also, wondered if you pulled the outer bearing race out. It's hard to tell by the picture.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 14:29   #3 (permalink)

Ok, so here she is in all of her glory! The inner race has been pulled out of the axle tube, it was very easy seeing as the bearing was shredded. I mean Shreddddded! I noticed a gouge, for the lack of a better word, inside the tube that is on the top of the shaft. The pictures will show a little more detail, I took two of the inner shaft, the first picture is what I expected to see the second one is harder to focus on but is the gouge in question.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/FirstPic.jpg
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s.../SecondPic.jpg
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...x1/OhMyGod.jpg

The Width of the gouge IS smaller than the new bearing I will be putting in, there isn't anything that will keep the bearing from going into the shaft. If I put in a new bearing will the bearing fail? The axle obviously has to go, but I am wondering if I need a new rear end, or I can get away without.
Old 06-26-2009, 19:22   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I can see the gouge. It doesn't look good. That must have been making noise for a long time. You could always take a chance and run a new bearing since it would cover the spot but it would be nice to fill the gouge first.
Old 06-26-2009, 21:00   #5 (permalink)

what would you think would be a good thing to fill it with?
Old 06-26-2009, 21:27   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Maybe if you get an axle saver bearing it will ride in a different place and you won't have to worry about that. The axle savers put the beaeings against a different surface of the axle so if the axle is worn the bearing will use a different spot. Even though you'll have a new axle it would be for the housing. Go to the parts store and look at one. I don't have access to one so I don't know for sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 14:59   #7 (permalink)

An axle saver bearing is a great idea, that should work fundamentally! We shall see how she goes. It can't hurt anymore to try, If I see any evidence of it not working Ill just pull it again! Thank you very much.
Old 06-28-2009, 13:43   #8 (permalink)

Alright jammed an axle saver into the tube, got the new axle on and she is spinning freely now. The bearing did stick out a bit so I hope it is entirely sealed. I can't be sure for a few days... I hope this is the end to my problems for a good long while! Next up, replacing the greased out brakes :p. Those clips were a REAL BEAR to get off, had to get help pushing in that damn axle. Had to pull the POSI spring off, there wasnt enough room to pull those c-clips without it :/
Old 06-28-2009, 20:41   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's why the axle saver should do the job because it rides out a little so a worn axle can be used. Since you did it to save the housing you should be alriht for a long time. You shouldn't have to pull the posi spring. Loosening the sensors and rotating the shaft so the stud end misses the park brake pieces. Glad you're all set anyway. Thanks for letting us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71