Back With Another Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 17:56   #1 (permalink)

Back With Another Issue

Seems to be one thing after another with this car...Tonight we were driving, getting onto the highway. There was alot of traffic, so I had to get on it pretty good so we didn't get ran over. Pressed down on the accelerator and the car kinda stumbled a little then downshifted and began to pick up speed. We heard a loud pop and a loud wheezing sound but she was accelerating perfectly now. Looked in the rear view, and all the headlights behind us were now far behind us in a dense white fog...UH OH! We could smell antifreeze really bad and had to drive another mile before we could get off the highway. Got to a gas station and shut her off. Tons of white steam from under the hood and antifreeze everywhere. Turns out, the heater hose from the firewall to the manifold had popped out of the manifold and was spraying coolant everywhere. Its dark so I could barely see, but I shoved it back in its hole and babied the car a 1/2 mile down the road to my house where it sits. What could cause that much pressure to blow the hose completely out of the manifold?! Car hasn't been running hot, and the heater works great. The temp. HAS been fluctuating up and down between 1/2 and low quite a bit lately, but has never gotten hot. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to get all the details in. Any ideas? Thank You
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 20:25   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Back With Another Issue

If you're talking about the one on the passengers side of the manifold, they have been known to blow the fitting out sometimes. One of our fleet did that. It was rare but happened. The manifold needed replacing when that happened.
Old 01-16-2012, 21:16   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to look at it tomorrow if the rain stops. Yes it was the one on the passenger side. Was it a manifold issue that caused it on yours, or did the manifold need changed for another reason? Thanks again
Old 01-16-2012, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It was the fitting that the hose connects to. It came out of the manifold.
Old 01-16-2012, 21:38   #5 (permalink)

Thats what happened here as well. From what I could see in the dark, the fitting was still inside the hose but had popped out of the manifold. Was the fitting originally attached to the manifold and just broke off, or is it a separate piece that just fits into the manifold? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the replies. I'm on a VERY limited income and can't afford a manifold right now, so I'm looking for as much info as I can get on it possibly being a cheap fix.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The manifold has to be replaced. Any other repair would be temporary.
Old 01-17-2012, 21:28   #7 (permalink)

Any idea as to what exactly caused this to happen? Also, this is my family's only vehicle, so I'm willing to consider temporary fixes because I do not have the money to purchase a manifold at this time. I've used JB weld to fix many punctured or cracked radiators in the past with no issues, so I was wondering what your thoughts are on using JB Weld to keep the fitting in the manifold? Again, thank you for the replies and advice. Its all much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50   #8 (permalink)

It's actually pretty common. There was a recall on the intakes quite a few years ago due to a class action lawsuit I believe. But If I remember right Ford is no longer obligated to fix it for free anymore. It was 96-2002 iirc model years with the plastic intake manifold, it always cracks at the heater hose fitting.

Bert is right, the ONLY fix is replacing the intake manifold. The replacement part has an Aluminum crossover to strengthen that area of the manifold vs all plastic like the original. Here is the writeup of the intake swap from the Mirror of p71interceptor.com. You can also find lots of threads about it at crownvic.net.

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/intakem...res/index.html
Quasar3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

I think the recall was mainly for another issue; the coolant and thermostat housing was originally plastic and was replaced with the current plastic aluminum combination to prevent the coolant passage from cracking.

Perhaps we can all learn from this, and it is a reminder to me also; the problem with OO's car is common if the heater hose has previously been removed by an inexperienced mechanic. The newer manifolds are reliable and last a long time, but they are PLASTIC and will not tolerate somebody pulling with both hands on a heater hose to remove the hose!!

The best way to remove a heater hose, and this applies to the heater core end also, is to slit the hose with a razor knife, after removing the clamp, of course, then gently rotate the hose with channel locks until the bond breaks.

The 4.6 is newer and higher tech than your old Oldsmobile-whatever. You cannot get away with "wrenching" on them like you did with your old cast iron engines.

"I can fix anything unless you've worked on it before" Stroker McGurk-1948.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm with Bajarider on this. Ours broke due to a temporary helper that replaced the hose. Most of our cars have the blue silicon hoses and haven't had to be removed. The extended warranty was for a crack in the front housing area.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71