Bad Power Steering Leak - 95 Crown Vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 15:10   #1 (permalink)

Bad Power Steering Leak - 95 Crown Vic

I hope this is the right area for this post.

I bought a 95 Ford Crown Victoria LX from a friend. It just recently passed 200K miles. It has a lot of issues, but the serious pressing issue right now is the Power Steering Leak.

I can put in half a pint of Power Steering Fluid (with stop leak even) and after only an hour or 2 of driving with around 4 stops of about 30 minutes each, I pull into my driveway fighting my car to turn. The leak has gotten that bad. It wasn't always that bad, but it has gotten much worse. I leave GIANT puddles in my driveway. Doesn't help my driveway is sloped. My engine is COVERED in power steering fluid around where the hoses leave from the power steering reservoir.

I am fairly certain it is the hoses that are leaking, however I am no mechanic in any form or fashion, so I can't be certain. I do have a mechanic friend, but he has serious health issue, so it is difficult to get his help.

Therefore, I am here asking for your help. I have looked at it, and I am fairly certain I saw liquid oozing out of one area in the pipe, here is the best picture I could find of the hose, or a similar one, and circled where the leak seems to be. I can't seem to find what this hose is, or where to buy one.

http://s2.postimage.org/iusplcvvt/Untitled.jpg (Sorry about the link in it, I found this image on some tutorial for a 97 crown vic)

Additionally, is there any temporary fix for a leak? My mechanic friend said that I could use Transmission Fluid instead of Power Steering Fluid, but I googled and they said it could kill my engine. So I want extra opinions here.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Waizujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Bad Power Steering Leak - 95 Crown Vic

That circled appears to be a radiator hose with a heater bypass hose T piece; it won't be leaking power steering fluid. If the fluid is there it must be leaking to it from something above it. Nonetheless the power steering fluid may also have damaged that lower radiator hose and it probably should also be replaced before you have a major coolant leak too. See http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=288227

The power steering hoses are the 2 in the bottom right of that picture. These:

You obviously have been here http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/steerin...all/index.html and that actually tells you most of what you need to know if those hoses are and/or the pump is leaking.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71