Ford Forums banner

Bleeding HCU?

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rizz01 
#1 ·
I'll try to sum it up quickly..
Bought 01 GM with 72K that had been sitting for about 4 years.....
Brake pedal was nice and high and firm but car pulled to right..
Had repair shop that repaired the vehicles at my job work on stuck brakes.
Pulled calipers off and left the lines open and hanging for a couple of days.
Got vehicle back and vehicle now pulled to the left (slightly)
Sent back and they changed passenger side caliper, got it back and brakes still pull to left.
Sent back 2 more times and they couldn't get it right. (didn't pay for this)
Figured I'd live with it till I got REALLY sick of it.
Following year, I bled the brakes (3 times, all the way around), installed new pads and found out that rear calipers don't match. RH side has 1" piston, LH side has 1 3/4" piston.
Recently, swapped vehicles with my girlfriend because it was having many safety issues that needed fixing.
Got my car back and realized that I can't deal with this any longer.
Read some tech data on this subject and evidently the HCU needs bleeding.
Anybody got any ideas besides taking it to someone who'll rape my wallet for 30 minutes of work?
Contacted a couple of Ford / Mercury dealerships and they wanna start off by charging me for diagnostics.:wank2:
Even AFTER telling them how this all came to pass...........
Contacted the parts departments at these dealerships to BUY the electronic tool to activate the ABS so I may bleed it, got ALL KINDS of stories but couldn't buy it...:angry:
Please help!
BTW, I have that matching rear caliper in my hand now.....

See less See more
#2 ·
If you haven't put the proper caliper on, I'd start with that. Air won't usuall get int the unit unless the master cylinder runs dry or a line above it gets replaced. The shop you used should be able to bleed the brakes properly if that fails. It's a good idea to keep the lines closed off when anything is disconnected for an extesive period of time.

#3 ·
I use a Motive Power bleeder; couldn't be simpler. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance, and keeping your brake fluid clean and dry (NEVER leave brake lines open. Brake fluid absorbs moisture like a sponge) is as important as changing the other fluids in your car. But first, Bert is right on! It's hard to believe that someone would put different size calipers on a car. I would be inclined to check the entire car over, especially safety related parts, to see what else the previous owner has done to the car. Don't forget to check the brake hoses too. They are cheap and easy to change if you already have the calipers off. Use proper tube wrenches on the lines, not an open end wrench.

#5 ·
The previous owners were an elderly couple (who purchased it new) who had the car serviced by the dealer. I've got the paperwork to prove it. Luckily, I'm the second owner.
Believe it or not, just about everything on this car was factory when I got it. It's just that shop who worked on it screwed it up.:wank2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.