Blend Door Actuator 2002 Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 12:16   #1 (permalink)

frown Blend Door Actuator 2002 Grand Marquis

I was told I my car needs a blend door actuator and it will take 7 hrs labor. With the part the total cost will be $600. Is this the norm price for this type of work? Do they have to remove the dash to replace this part?
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 07:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Blend Door Actuator 2002 Grand Marquis

Bad News. I'm assuming you mean the climate control blend door ? I had that on my 95 SHO, after doing a self test ( I was an idiot for messing with that) mine broke. it would then make a clicking sound from behind the dash. You have to remove the dash to get at it, or if you don't want to bother, I believe you can disconnect it but you will obviously not have control.

I'm not being of much help here, but that estimate sounds about right.
bcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

this will give you and idea of what's involved and why labour costs so much; Lincolns of Distinction
Old 09-30-2008, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
brad1

Replaced blend door actuator on 1996 grand marquis by disconnecting battery. Removed the right side air bag. Removed air duct and glove compartment. Made a special handle for a 1/4 in. socket to remove hex head screws from actuator. There is very limited room to work. A 1/4 in. ratchet was to big to fit in the limited space. It took a bit of time to remove the two rear hex head screws as I could only turn about 1/8 turn at a time. Bought new blend door actuator at Lincoln/ mercury dealership for $72.00. Checked that the blend door had no obstruction (no pencils or other objects in duct work) and installed new actuator with only two screws rather than four. It held fine with the two screws. The air duct was glued together in tow two parts. Split the duct at the seams up to 90 degree bend to reinstall. After placing duct back in position, drilled and used a screw to hold the duct back together. If air leaks through split seams (seams overlap) it is not enough to notice as air duct works fine. You could use glue on duct to reseal if desired. I chose not to in case I had another problem. This was quite a job but I was determined not to remove the dash panel. Being the first time to do this it took a couple hours to get the rear screws out with new made tool.. That was the biggest challenge.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:44   #5 (permalink)

2000 mercury grand marquis= agree with above except i did not: 1. disconnect battery 2. remove RH air bag or glove box or duct 3. or remove insulation in front of actuator as one link suggested. i did remove the plug from actuator. used a 5/16 combo ignition wrench to reach the RH rear screw. used a 5/16 18pt socket rivited onto a piece of 8 inch long steel for a handle to reach the LH rear screw. found my left arm worked the best kneeling on a pad on the ground and reaching thru the open glove box door. used a long screw driver to work the actuator up and down to fatigue the forward lugs and broke them off. removed the old actuator and forward screws with remaining lugs. cut the rounded part of the forward lugs on the new actuator with a pair of dikes and filed smooth to leave a fork for retention under the reinstalled screws leaving enough gap for actuator forks.
steve48la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:57   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's a geat shotcut. Probably only took an hour plus making the tool.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50   #7 (permalink)

OK, I removed the glove box, cut a hole in the plenum and I can grab the blend door but it is stuck SOLID! I took my pry bar and it will not move. I took a hammer and screw driver and buster the actuator to pieces and got all the gears out and still won't move!
Any Ideas?
Thanks
alanhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 14:11   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Something must have fallen into the plenum. Looks like you'll have to remove the instrument panel to remove the plenum.
Old 01-28-2011, 16:07   #9 (permalink)

Is the blend door the culprit when in the 'FlOOR' setting I get minimal air output, even at higher fan speeds?
Old 01-28-2011, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The blend door only changes the temperature from cool to heat.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71