brake pedal squeak 2000 crown vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 14:24   #1 (permalink)

Question brake pedal squeak 2000 crown vic

I have a 2000 crown vic, stock in every way. I have noticed a slightly harder to push brake pedal - More effort required, but also a squeaking as I push down - at a red light I can actually remove a little pressure and then reapply more pressure to pedal and hear this annoying noise.
It sounds as if I am rubbing rubber on rubber or like the brake pedal shaft going through the firewall is actually rubbing the rubber grommet or washer or something.
It sometimes feels as though I am pushing through and getting a harder /softer pedal effort as I push down to stop the car.
Probably need a new master cylinder and a booster but wanted to ask everyone for their thoughts or suggestions.
thanks for any feedback - had an earlier marquis which did the same noise but not the same feel to the pedal, ended up selling before worrying about it.
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: brake pedal squeak 2000 crown vic

Probably just the booster. One good test is to pump the pedal a few times with the engine off. Then hold the pedal down and start the car. The pedal will drop some to show that the booster is okay. If ti barely moves, your booster needs replacement for sure. There could be other problems with the booster that could cause a noise by something dragging inside. The master cylinder doesn't usually cause what you're explaining. Maybe the pedal bushings themselves.
Old 08-17-2010, 16:09   #3 (permalink)

Bert, thanks for the reply and the helpful hints about the booster and the bushings. I had never thought about the bushings - this might truly be the reason for the squeaking noise. but I will still check out the booster. I have never looked at the bushings - is it hard to replace or get to?
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd spray WD40 on them and leave irt at that. They don't move much so they shouldn't actually wear out.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71