Brakes went OUT on me! What should I expect Cost Wise? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 22:20   #1 (permalink)

frown Brakes went OUT on me! What should I expect Cost Wise?

Hey all, my 1997 Marquis has just hit 70K miles, about 4 thousand miles ago I had a full brake service done and they replaced all the pads checked calipers reground the drums whatever, basically I was stopping on a dime after they were done.

I rarely drive the beast, but when I pulled out the other day and got to the corner just like in the movies I put my foot down and got NOTHING 95% of the pedal was "dead" feeling and the last 5% barely stopped me!

Needless to say I turned around quick and got it back in the driveway, noticed too a nice puddle of brake fluid in the street on the way back.

Guessing I popped a line or something I dunno for sure, but what am I looking at cost wise to replace a brake line, and if I have one done should they ALL be done at the same time?

Frustrated cuz cost wise I am broke here and can't even drive the car now, yet still have the insurance and other costs associated to keep up with.

Guessing I need to have this towed (another fun cost) but was curious if you guys can fill me in on what guestimated costs will be to fix a blown brake line, or if this sounds like a familiar situation and possibly isn't brake line related let me know what you think it might be and might cost to fix ballpark.

Bill :(
FTLOSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 20:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brakes went OUT on me! What should I expect Cost Wise?

Have to find out where the leak is coming from before you can estimate cost very easily. The car should have three rubber brake hoses on it, one on each of the front brakes and one between the body and the rear axle housing. It's entirely possible one of those broke. If so, it's a pretty simple, and hopefully inexpensive, fix. The other possibility is that one of the brake lines rusted through, and will need to be replaced. You could probably just replace the bad section of line, but if you're going to have a shop do it, it'll depend on what their policy is. Just try to find the leak, first, then you can get a better idea of how expensive it'll be to fix.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: Brakes went OUT on me! What should I expect Cost Wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post
Hey all, my 1997 Marquis has just hit 70K miles, about 4 thousand miles ago I had a full brake service done and they replaced all the pads checked calipers reground the drums whatever, basically I was stopping on a dime after they were done.

I rarely drive the beast, but when I pulled out the other day and got to the corner just like in the movies I put my foot down and got NOTHING 95% of the pedal was "dead" feeling and the last 5% barely stopped me!

Needless to say I turned around quick and got it back in the driveway, noticed too a nice puddle of brake fluid in the street on the way back.

Guessing I popped a line or something I dunno for sure, but what am I looking at cost wise to replace a brake line, and if I have one done should they ALL be done at the same time?

Frustrated cuz cost wise I am broke here and can't even drive the car now, yet still have the insurance and other costs associated to keep up with.

Guessing I need to have this towed (another fun cost) but was curious if you guys can fill me in on what guestimated costs will be to fix a blown brake line, or if this sounds like a familiar situation and possibly isn't brake line related let me know what you think it might be and might cost to fix ballpark.

Bill :(
I work at a dealership. My 97 marquis had all metal lines replaced. Wheel to wheel and front to back. New poly armour line. Class A tech, over 8 hrs. Cost me almost $800.00
stairfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 00:38   #4 (permalink)

Re: Brakes went OUT on me! What should I expect Cost Wise?

You're obviously not a do-it-yourselfer. If you were, you could save a bundle (sounds like the tech above replaced his lines with a much superior product). You can buy steel line in bulk for dollars, but it can be quite time consuming. Honestly, if you aren't a do-it-yourselfer, I don't recommend you start now. Brake lines aren't something a newbie should be playing with.

I've replaced many a brake line in various vehicles I've owned over the years, and it has never been expensive. Time consuming, yes (I like to remove the old line, and I bend the new line to closely match the old one).

As already pointed out, you may not be dealing with a failed brake line. It could be a hose, it could be a caliper (disc brakes), or a rear wheel cylinder (in the case of drum brakes).

Depending on the cost of the parts, what's wrong, and the labour involved, you could be looking at a repair around $100, or something far exceeding that.

As far as you're safety is concerned, have your vehicled towed to the shop of your choosing (maybe back to where you last had the brakes serviced). You shouldn't be operating any car with failed brakes, but with something the size of the Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis - you'll be a killer on wheels. Don't rely on your emergency brake stopping a full-size car anytime this century.

Good luck.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71