A/C cycles when heat is on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 17:16   #1 (permalink)

A/C cycles when heat is on

As said in the topic, my A/C cycles when my heat is on. It still blows out heat, but its kinda annoying hearing it constantly clicking on and off. Right now, i have the compressor unplugged, so it dont come on, but i would rather fix it right. Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2006, 18:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: A/C cycles when heat is on

If I am not mistaking it is suppose to do that. It is because when in the winter the ac does not get used so the compressor will kick on here and there so that the coolant moves around and that the seals and poppet valves in the compressor do not dry up.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

That's right, it will ,especially if it is on defrost, it'll run constantly. There is nothing wrong with your system,plug the compressor back up. You'll be glad next year when your A/C works right.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 22:25   #4 (permalink)

Too bad manufacturers just figured that out in the 1990s. If they realized that by automatically engaging the air conditioning when the defrost is on, they could have saved many compressors & other various air conditioning parts.

By the way, not only does it do well for the A/C system in winter to cycle on, it really does decrease the amount of time it takes to defrost a windshield, and sometimes other windows if they are fogged too. Reason is simple - the A/C system is acting a bit like a dehumidifier as the evaporator removes the humidity from the air.

As a final note, many manufacturers recommend you run the A/C system in the winter months at least consecutive minutes a week. I use to do this in a prior vehicle that had A/C and I never had any problems - even when the car was 11 years old.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23   #5 (permalink)
Crownvic

My 82 does it as well. That system of using the pump during the winter is a testament to its longevity. Still using the original pump and r-12 and it still blows cold in the summer.
CrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 20:19   #6 (permalink)

I just bought a 2001 Sable and I noticed that the air conditioner compressor does this same thing...kicks in and out every few seconds, with the controls on heat (not defrost). Is this really what it is supposed to do? Or is there some electronic module messed up? I have never seen any other vehicle do this.
Sable owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable owner View Post
I just bought a 2001 Sable and I noticed that the air conditioner compressor does this same thing...kicks in and out every few seconds, with the controls on heat (not defrost). Is this really what it is supposed to do? Or is there some electronic module messed up? I have never seen any other vehicle do this.
The A/C will cycle on all settings except vent on my 01 Taurus. I've heard it's normal.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71