CAI and K&N Cone Filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25   #1 (permalink)

CAI and K&N Cone Filter

Mod to a 4.6 seems, based on what I've read, like not such a great idea as it will pull hot air from the engine bay as well as mess up the MAF reading.
Anyone have any experience in this regard? Is it a yay or nay?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
WillMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 14:59   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: CAI and K&N Cone Filter

Not sure about the MAF reading, but for performance, the cooler the intake air the better.

K&N is a forum sponsor so I need to remain neutral. I have used one in the past for a very short time.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

cooler air is more dense therefore helping create more power... warmer air supposedly helps increase fuel mileage from engine...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

If you, or any other forum member, decides to use a K&N filter, it is imperative that you oil it properly after cleaning. Use K&N filter oil, let the oil spread, then re-oil any white spots. Additionally, I use a light coating of grease around the rubber seal where it mates with the air filter housing. I have used K&N's for many years off road in Baja. They work well under extreme conditions, but I wonder about their value for street use.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Also, too much oil will coat the MAF and cause running problems.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:07   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Bert is absolutely right. I should have mentioned to not over oil the filter. I try to let mine sit overnight so the oil can soak in and any excess can be wiped off before installation.

One additional point, hot intake air does not result in better fuel mileage. It just results in less horsepower. In a closed loop system, the MAF will read less airflow (along with the 02 sensor mixture reading) when the air is less dense (hot) and the ECM will reduce the fuel mixture to stay "stoich" (stoichiometric).
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47   #7 (permalink)

My '00 Grand Marquis had a CAI on it when I bought it. The only difference I made, was to take off the filter (don't know what brand it was), and put on an Amsoil powersports cone filter. More flow than a K&N, plus NO OILING!! It's a dry filter, that only requires an occasional blow out with an air compressor, or vacuuming (if you don't have an air compressor). I've been satisfied with it, no complaints. I don't know if there was any 'tuning' done to it, as I bought the car that way, but the wife's been getting a constant average of at least 24 mpg's with it, driving it back, and forth to work. There's my 2 cents worth!

John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

At a recent car show, I saw a few ideas for minor mods if you're interested in going with a cone style CAI, on an early 50's vintage, there was room on either side of the radiator and they routed the cones through the support wall. On a 70's vintage Cougar, they had cold air boxes penetrating the wheel wells. Just a couple of "out of the box" ideas for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I did think about routing the cone (if I were to get one) through the rad support but then wondered about rain and moisture.
WillMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71