"cam has a scratched lobe- you need a new engine" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41   #1 (permalink)

"cam has a scratched lobe- you need a new engine"

My 4.6 GM is in the dealer shop. I got a call that the #4 cylinder had some kinda prob. That the bottom end was tested and the prob was in the #4- could be a valve or busted spring. Dealer quoted me $1900. to pull the head and determine the problem (plus mach shop charges). I ok'd this since the Serv Mgr was adamant that the prob was definitely in the #4.

Next call I get is that the mechanic said the valve had scratched a lobe on the OH cam and that I would need a new cyl head. I have worked on my cars since 1975- no OHCs but I figured a cam is a cam and that a damaged cam would be replaced, maybe the bearings as well. I looked in the Ford manual and the manual outines the procede for R&R of a cam. Nowhere does it say replace the entire cyl head and valve train if there is damage to the lobe. The Serv mgr said I need a new head. He said $730 gor a dealer ford head. I authorized it. But I have been very suspicious.

Next call the Serv mgr tells me that the head is now building too much pressure and that a ring job is requires; but I may just need a NEW ENGINE.

The car was running tip top before it started pinging under load- I thought it was a dirty IAC OR EGR maybe. Is tehre any reason I need to have a new engine. At what point should I have become suspicious (assuming you think I should be)?

And what should I do now? The dealer says $2100. to pick up my car without any improvement over when I brought it in- no new engine of course.

HELP, I mean help!
EdPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 19:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: "cam has a scratched lobe- you need a new engine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPDX
My 4.6 GM is in the dealer shop. I got a call that the #4 cylinder had some kinda prob. That the bottom end was tested and the prob was in the #4- could be a valve or busted spring. Dealer quoted me $1900. to pull the head and determine the problem (plus mach shop charges). I ok'd this since the Serv Mgr was adamant that the prob was definitely in the #4.

Next call I get is that the mechanic said the valve had scratched a lobe on the OH cam and that I would need a new cyl head. I have worked on my cars since 1975- no OHCs but I figured a cam is a cam and that a damaged cam would be replaced, maybe the bearings as well. I looked in the Ford manual and the manual outines the procede for R&R of a cam. Nowhere does it say replace the entire cyl head and valve train if there is damage to the lobe. The Serv mgr said I need a new head. He said $730 gor a dealer ford head. I authorized it. But I have been very suspicious.

Next call the Serv mgr tells me that the head is now building too much pressure and that a ring job is requires; but I may just need a NEW ENGINE.

The car was running tip top before it started pinging under load- I thought it was a dirty IAC OR EGR maybe. Is tehre any reason I need to have a new engine. At what point should I have become suspicious (assuming you think I should be)?

And what should I do now? The dealer says $2100. to pick up my car without any improvement over when I brought it in- no new engine of course.

HELP, I mean help!
Sounds like you gonna get nailed no matter what , for that sort of $ a good used motor would be a possible , it also seems quite unethical of the dealer so if you have any mechanical ability consider doing a used motor swap or a re ring your self.. perhaps with a mates help ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39   #3 (permalink)
STROKE ME

Re: "cam has a scratched lobe- you need a new engine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPDX
Next call the Serv mgr tells me that the head is now building too much pressure and that a ring job is required
Too much pressure ? If it needed rings,wouldnt it be not enough pressure ? I could be wrong,but I never heard of "I have too much compression,so I need rings". Sounds to me like your getting screwed,unless I'm overlooking something.

FRPP forged,Sportsman block 347,TFS cam and CNC ported 205cc Heads,Systemax intake
91GT347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71