Can anyone identify this transmission part? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 12:28   #1 (permalink)

Can anyone identify this transmission part?

First thing's first - I have a 1985 Crown Victoria with the automatic overdrive transmission (didn't they all have this?).

I'm doing a fluid & filter change. When I removed the transmission pan, this is what I found rolling around in the bottom. It's some plastic plunger-like device with a seal on it. What is it, and where does it go? Just as an aside, I don't have any problems with the transmission - it shifts smoothly, is quiet, etc. The fluid change is purely preventative maintenance...

I've attached pictures - if anyone knows what it is, please step forward.

I'll poke around and see if I can see a hole where it belongs for the time being. Thanks in advance...

Update: Unable to upload pictures - system just tells me the upload failed (file size is within the guidelines). I can e-mail the pics for anyone who might be able to identify the part.

Best I can describe is it looks like a plunger - a cylinder-like thing with a rounded bottom, with a "stick". The main cylinder-like body has a seal in it. It's made of plastic.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 13:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: Can anyone identify this transmission part?

did you find this after you removed your filter? it could posibly be the seal that goes on the tranny filter, you can send me a picture of it to bonneville1992@hotmail.com and i might be able to help.
bonneville92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 14:14   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

It's the dipstick plug that is just pushed into the pan when the dipstick and tube is installed from factory.Apparently your pan hasn't been opened since new. Just throw the piece away
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 14:28   #4 (permalink)

yeah what he said, lol, was leaning towards some kinda seal.
Old 10-30-2006, 15:05   #5 (permalink)

Makes sense that it's the plug for the dipstick tube (pre-assembly). That was the only hole that came close to being the size of the part. I've already re-assembled everything (minus the plug). Wow....never had a transmission fluid change prior to me? I've only own the car for the last two years. The oil wasn't the bright red it should have been, so I wanted to chaneg it. My buddy claims the fluid was changed about a year before I took it off of his hands. I should look at the filter - probably has original Motormast stampings on the old one.

Thanks for the input...

I did send photos to Bonneville....
Old 10-30-2006, 15:31   #6 (permalink)

good to hear everything went well, and it's nothing to be concerned about. i know the feeling when your trying to figure out what the heck something is, or for that matter, were did it come from. anyhow glad to hear that it's nothing to worry about.
Old 10-30-2006, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

The fluid could have been changed. You can have the tranny flushed without changing the filter or even dropping the pan.Obviously the filter had not been changed though.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 23:33   #8 (permalink)

Actually, I had been thinking the same thing. I actually drained most of the fluid from the transmission before unbolting the pan. I've got a hand-pump, and I find the job is much easier & cleaner to suck out the fluid through the dipstick tube first. I believe there are machines that cycle the fluid & flush, and then the tech can fill the transmission with new juice.

The fluid must have been changed at some point in it's life - the pan didn't have 21 years worth of fine metal "dust" that typically sticks to the bottom. While the fluid was dirty & needed changing, it still had a red tinge to it (but it wasn't bright red like new fluid).

I suppose there is a possibility that the pan has been dropped in the past, filter changed, and the plug was just left there. Silly, but possible...

Logically speaking, the fluid probably has been changed - the transmission functions very well after 21 years. I don't think it'd be very solid if it were never changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71