The car finally died - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 16:06   #1 (permalink)
That guy

The car finally died

The crown is dead, I destroyed the motor. I was trying to get on I-94 and blew a heater hose, I tried getting home and over heated the motor. It sounds like it scrapped the cylender walls. I think the motor is shot. I should have just pulled over and called AAA, but they never sent me my card and the call would be pointless, thanks AAA. So, I'm planning on ordering a 1996 explorer 5.0L with GT heads, forged pistions, and roller cam. I have a brain from a 91 mustang and the MAFS stuff with all the wireing. I was thinking of the 351 stroker, but thats for another car. I'm going to go over the car tomorrow to make sure the engine is dead..... Or still alive. Later.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 16:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: The car finally died

You'll need to install the forged pistons. Explorers had hyperutectic (sp?).

Sounds like a good idea, though. I'll be updating the GT-40P/T5 swap with the parts I've needed and that should help you out. You won't need the special headers, though, since you're not after a P motor.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
That guy

Well, I'm rethinking this. I might just get a cheap 351w, master sealed power rebuild kit, put my gt-40 heads on it, and get a roller cam, or if the one in my car is any good and specs out, use that with new roller lifters. I'm not looking for mad power, I got another car for that. I only want about 400-450 horse but as much good economy as possible. That way I can keep my brain and switch all the rest. Maybe bigger injectors if I feel bold. It'll cost me about $1000-$1300, about the worth of a new motor, but more power. As for a T-5 swap, sorry, but I hate stick. Plus I got 3 T5s and all the crap to do 3 crowns from my parted cars. Matter of fact I got a 351W out there. Hmmm the possiblites are endless. Hell I got a injected 460 and the mounts to fit it in the crown :) Blah, I should stop thinking before I do something crazy..

Old 11-18-2005, 18:08   #4 (permalink)

If you have any desire for economy, keep with an EFI 5.0.

Using a Mustang computer will eliminate your cruise control (if you have it), by the way.

I paid $650 for my Explorer motor and only needed about $300 on top of that for the extra parts I NEEDED. I splurged a bit.

Okay. A lot.

My Garage
Old 11-18-2005, 22:59   #5 (permalink)

How many km's did it have when it died? (whether it is dead or almost dead)
bull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

If it's DEAD, let us know about the wake,or memorial service, which ever. We all feel the pain when a fellow gearhead has a loss. Been there, done that, I know the feeling,mine died once. Thank goodness for transplants!!! Good Luck !!
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:42   #7 (permalink)
That guy

Heres the part that makes me mad too, it only had 80,000 miles! And had every oil change it ever needed from the day it was born! The engine was in unbeleivable condition, its compression was 185 PSI on rach cylender. It broke the wheels loose even with the 2.73, flatlined the damn 140 speedo (I removed the tab on it), I put all new sensors, gaskets, ported stock intake, 21# injectors, true double roller timing chain, headers and custom exhaust, water pump, radiator, power steering, a/c pump, alternator, removed the emissons, upgraded the ignition and transmission. I put over $2000 in it already. What really steams me! A 10 cent part gave out and destroyed it all!!! I blew the high side of the heater core hose. The engine is almost frooze, I rolled it over by wrench and its tight. I'm thiking ofstarting it, but I fear scrapping the cylinder walls, any further. I swear if I blew this thing I'm rebuilding it into a badass with no limit to money. The crown ain't completly dead yet, it still has a good set of tires and transmission.

Also, freshmeat, your right, if I go with a mustang brain I'll kill my economy, I'm just going to rebuild the motor. Also, the brain I have has cruise control, it has a servo and the guy said it came off a automatic mustang. Also, I don't like to put used engines in cars, I never know how the owner treated it and always came out like crap, I just rebuild them for $500 - $700 depending on the motor. I'm going to finish looking at the crown, its 34 degrees out right now, blah. Later.

Old 11-19-2005, 15:21   #8 (permalink)
That guy

My crown is still alive. I thought I killed it. It started right up, no clanking, no knocking. The darn thing hit 320 degree and it runs and sounds better. I changed the oil and its just reg dirty. Also fixed the blown heater hose. Changed the antifreeze to, added some additive. My hesitation is gone, no more rumbling, no more lurching, no more capped RPM. It runs like new and the darn compression roose!! It was 185 PSI each cylinder, now its 190! Every time I think I killed the car it gets better. It breaks the tires loose no problem. But this winter I'm still rebuilding the motor while I have the money and time. The only explenation I can think of is it baked the sludge out of the motor and it came out with the oil change. It was 2000 miles since the last one, and your suppoes to change it every 3000. Also maybe the brain sensed it was over heat and shut down before any damage was done? I'm impressed with the car so far. Also, she has 60,000 miles, I read the wrong dash. The old one has 40,000 on it, the new one had 60,000 and it says 80,000 now, I had it for 2 years so far. Later.

Old 11-19-2005, 17:03   #9 (permalink)
That guy

I just ordered a set of federal mogul master rebuild kit :) Forged everything! $580, new cam and kifters $240, new stuff for my gt40 heads $200, new coil springs $150, and new heater core (I know mine wants to die) and door seals $150. Total $1320, horse power is going to be about 435 with 453 torque. Might get the car to do 13s in the qaurter.

Free stuff: Pipe for my custom intake, plates and brackets for my custom intake, and reprograming the car brain.

The ability to make people go "what the hell, did that crown vic do that?," priceless. :D Next summer I have to take down a few chevyies :) Maybe a mopar or two

Old 11-19-2005, 17:03   #10 (permalink)

You are far from the first case I've heard of such an occasion. The high nickel content in the 302 blocks allows it to survive unbelievable temperatures and still show minimal cylinder wall wear.

Glad to hear you're okay!

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71