Car losses power... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:14   #1 (permalink)

Car loses power...

I dont know exactly how to explain this, but Ill do my best so please bear with me. Occasionally (as in maybe once or twice a day) when my girlfriend is driving her car (99 Grand Marquis) it will lose power and you wont be able to accelerate. Usually this is going up a hill or on a bumpy road, but I dont think its always like that. Ive had it happen to me once while with her and it felt like it was starved for fuel. If you barely kept your foot on the gas you could keep your speed up kinda close to where you were before. I was going about 60 and I could maintain 50ish mph until I hit a hill. When you mash the gas nothing was happening. Didnt sound like the trans was slipping or anything. I pulled over and it was running really rough like it was about to die...but the weird part is once you turn the car off and let it sit for about 60 seconds, you can restart it and go again till it happens again. She was in a fender bender about a month ago and the red button near the gas door (in the trunk safety feature) needed to be pushed in. Is it possible that the sensor in that box is throwing a faulty signal and restricting gas flow even though the button has been reset? This just started becoming an issue after her accident. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me, Im at a loss...
99Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 09:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Car losses power...

bump.
Old 06-25-2009, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That sensor is either on or off. Go to Auto Zone and see if there are any codes. That would be a good start.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
That sensor is either on or off. Go to Auto Zone and see if there are any codes. That would be a good start.
If there were any codes wouldnt there be a check engine light? Regardless Ill have them check it for codes, I have to stop there later anyways. Im gonna do new plugs/wires and change the fuel filter while Im at it. It needs it anyways.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check engine light doesn't have to be on to get a code. Some problems don't set a code either. Also, where was it hit. That might have caused a problem with something getting damaged. If it was very minor, it wouldn't be a cause.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 13:57   #6 (permalink)

Gotcha, Ill def. have em check for a code while Im there then. It was hit upfront, all it did was bust up her grill and push her front clip in a tiny bit. The hood still closes, but you have to use a prybar to wedge it in. Its not bad enough to have caused any damage to anything engine related though...she was only going 5 or 10mph when she tagged the guy. Ill check for codes, change the filter and do the tune up and see how it goes. It still drives and gets her where she needs to go, but it sucks for her havin to pull over sometimes. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-29-2009, 18:36   #7 (permalink)

It does sound like the fuel filter could be the problem.
daverbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02   #8 (permalink)

If it seems to happen once the car heats up and is running for a while,it could also be the catalytic converter.

I'd check those too.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt get a chance to get to it yesterday, so hopefully tonight I will get it looked at. I had though about the cats being the problem too, but in all my experience once they were clogged it is a full time thing, not just occasional. With the problem disappearing after she turns the car off for a min, I kinda am thinking its a fuel filter. There is prolly enough sediment in there that it clogs up after a while when under pressure, but turning the car off relieves the pressure and allows the sediment to settle and stay out of the way for a short time. Ill report back to let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71