Carb air fuel mix - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

Carb air fuel mix

I seem to have an electric air fuel mixture adjustment on my carb
It is connected to a wire, where does this wire go>? I dhdnt think my car had O2 sensors
84 CV
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Carb air fuel mix

in 1981 they put O2, water, and air temp sensors on 302 CV so they could check and tune them. If your not CFI then there should be a flat brian on the driver side wheel well. Or in 84 they put it driver side under the dash. You should have a variable ventury 2 bbl carb if you don't have a cfi with 2 injector ports over it. A ventury carb is very bad carb, I hate them, always go bad around 40,000 miles and tend to "unset" them selves, pain to tune.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28   #3 (permalink)

Thanks
Well I do have a variable venturi carb then, could you explain what a flat brian is, I have never heard of this?

I should probably replace my 02 sensors hopefully it will give me better gas mileage than the 13mpg ive been getting
Old 10-01-2004, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
That guy

replacing the O2s will help allot. The brian (Ibeleive) is white based with a red top panel and a grey meduim size plug goin in the very center top. Its possible in 84 they put the brain under the steering wheel. Find the rear corner of the driver fender under the master brake cylender and you should see a grey strip of a million wires verticaly under the fuse block wires. It rarely ever goes bad and will not effect your car if its a 84 with a VV carb. But yet I have no idea how a VV carb works and ford may have connected it some how in 84. So get a cheap O2 sensor. Or take it out and sook it in karosene (or how ever you spell that stuff portable heaters work on).

Old 10-02-2004, 03:26   #5 (permalink)

thanks, Ill try soaking the O2 in kerosene first, and hope that solves some mileage peoplems, and you can smell it running rich, but not to the point of puffing black smoke. this might help
Old 10-15-2004, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
That guy

I forgot all about ford forums, sorry. I did play around. Theres a electrical control thing on the passerside of the carb. On the driverside there a grey flate box that look like a giant brain on the top of the inner wheel well, thats your brian. It has some effect that I see from my testings. The biggest problem I saw was the float baffle rod that controls where the float shuts off was sticking and cause lean air/fuel mix.

Old 10-16-2004, 15:59   #7 (permalink)

thanks BlueSteel
Well from monday on it looks as if my Crown Vic will become a project rather than a daily driver as my dad decided he wanted to buy me a 1992 Buick Lesabre
Im not too keen on the FWD or the V6 but it is winter soon and I have no garage so keeping up on the crown could cost a lot...

Now, I have time to do whatever I want to the crown vic though, lots of things to fix
Old 10-16-2004, 23:25   #8 (permalink)
That guy

I'm not to found on fwd 6v cars either. I just never got along well with them. 84 CV are a pain. I suggest ordering a cheap checker for the car cause it has a system on it, it'll tell you whats wrong with the engine. In the end it'll save money cause you don't have to spend money on guesses.

Old 10-17-2004, 18:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I'm not to found on fwd 6v cars either. I just never got along well with them. 84 CV are a pain. I suggest ordering a cheap checker for the car cause it has a system on it, it'll tell you whats wrong with the engine. In the end it'll save money cause you don't have to spend money on guesses.
The buick is nice though, I have to travel a lot, and now people will come with me and I can afford the gas.
But I like the CV too much to get rid of it, Cant wait till I get it all done up for the summer.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44   #10 (permalink)
That guy

If you need any parts I have a hole storage room of them from radio nobs to entire frames :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71