CB radios?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 18:09   #1 (permalink)

CB radios??

OK guys and gals...I went through all 64 pages here and not one post about running CB radios. Am I that old?? I have one with a center mounted trunk mount antenna. I am having issues with finding the room to mount the radio though. I purchased a Midland Mini 1001Z that is thankfully, only 1&1/2 inches high and about five inches wide. I had it mounted under the dash, but it only gave my right leg about two inches of clearance. This is not a sport model, or I would have mounted it to the center console. I guess I'm going to have to find a way to mount it on the hump. I refuse to drill holes in my floor though...

Any ideas? Or am I the only one running a CB...
'05 vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 18:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: CB radios??

Unfortunately, there aren't many people running CB radios anymore. I have one, but it's just loose on the floor (crappy, I know) and mine's an '89 so it wouldn't help you anyway. lol

That said, have you considered making a center console that would mount on the trans hump right in front of the ashtray? Assuming you don't smoke, the fact that you wouldn't be able to get at the ashtray anymore really wouldn't matter. Other than that, maybe you could mount it on top of the dash? It'll require some creativity, certainly. Good luck with whatever you come up with, and post pictures if you figure out a good mounting spot!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I ran into the same problem with my 98. My solution was buying an all in one hand held cb. I got the Cobra 75WXST and monted the connection box on the passenger side under the glove box. Works great and you can transfer it between vehicles if you purchase another connection box.

Amazon.com: Cobra 75WXST Weatherband CB Radio: Electronics
kram2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 16:52   #4 (permalink)
Fire/Rescue

K..I think I can help you a bit...I have the crappy bench seat with flip down arm rests....and need to mount my switch box, sire, CB, and Mobile....solution.

Go to walmart...buy one of the 40$ minivan center consoles...one with the lock box on top....take the bolts out of the arm rests....drill 2" holes on each side of the console.....making sure to line up the console to match how you would like to rest your arm...

Drill holes in the bottom of the console to run wiring....mount and run wiring for your CB....thread the bolts for the arm rests thru the console to the seat backs..and voila.....you know have and arm rest/lock box/ equipment console/ with two cupholders and change holders and storage compartments....total cost was 41$change.....I love it.
rescue76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 17:06   #5 (permalink)

First off, Kram I have had one of those hand held radios. I got frustrated with it and threw it across the cab. LOL Seems I couldn't pick it up in my uncoordinated hands without changing the channel. So that is out for me. but thank you anyway.

Nathan...I should have had a brainstorm with your suggestion. I do not smoke (anymore) and I do not indeed need an ashtray. I just use the cup holders there. But I was looking at it today and had just about decided to drill holes in my floor and mount the radio mount on the hump. Lo and behold, my wife came out and suggested that since we don't suck on those nasty cigarettes anymore that I just take out the ashtray!! DOH!!

Gotta love that female ingenuity. I popped it out and the radio fits real snug in there. I helped it out by putting a rubber spacer on the top side to give it more snugness (is that a word?) and I have ended up with a pretty good mount. Without drilling any holes!! When and if the time comes to get rid of this car I can put the ashtray back in and you would never know I had a CB in it at all.

nasus858 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I hope these pics work.
Old 10-27-2007, 17:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue76
K..I think I can help you a bit...I have the crappy bench seat with flip down arm rests....and need to mount my switch box, sire, CB, and Mobile....solution.

Go to walmart...buy one of the 40$ minivan center consoles...one with the lock box on top....take the bolts out of the arm rests....drill 2" holes on each side of the console.....making sure to line up the console to match how you would like to rest your arm...

Drill holes in the bottom of the console to run wiring....mount and run wiring for your CB....thread the bolts for the arm rests thru the console to the seat backs..and voila.....you know have and arm rest/lock box/ equipment console/ with two cupholders and change holders and storage compartments....total cost was 41$change.....I love it.
This is an excellent Idea!! I may just do this in the near future. I (right now) am happy with my CB mount, but these non-sport models are real slim as far as storage. I lost my cup holders when I removed my ashtray. I will miss those more than anything. I just use the ashtray for spare change now...

You have any pics of this console? I would love to see how your turned out rescue 76.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:33   #7 (permalink)

Glad to see you figured something out! Hope it works well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 vic
You have any pics of this console? I would love to see how your turned out rescue 76.
Agreed, sounds like a neat design. This thread is worthless without pix!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:34   #8 (permalink)

<Glad to see you figured something out! Hope it works well for you>

The more I look at it the more okie it looks. LOL Maybe I should stop looking at it...

That rubber spacer on top just doesn't do it for me. I'm going to have to do something else there.

That console idea wouldn't work with independently moving seats. You would tear it apart moving one seat and not moving the other to keep up with it. A true bench seat and it would work...
Old 10-28-2007, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Fire/Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 vic

That console idea wouldn't work with independently moving seats. You would tear it apart moving one seat and not moving the other to keep up with it. A true bench seat and it would work...

Well I forgot to mention that part..I had to dremmel out a little space to allow for the drivers seat to move but left the passanger side alone...it lets the bolt slide in a slot on the drivers side...and keeps it sturdy.

Pics???? I have been looking for my digital camera for weeks now...dunno what happend to it...Kids?? who knows.
rescue76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 21:11   #10 (permalink)

Ok Rescue...thanks for the info. Your setup is certainly no more okie that mine LOL. So when the drivers seat is all the way forward, can you still have the passenger side seat all the way back? I don't know why anyone would want to do this, unless a person had very short legs such as a little person. I guess if I want to modify my car to fit my particular situation, it just will not fit everyone. A price that must be paid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71