Changing fuel filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51   #1 (permalink)

Changing fuel filter

I started changing the fuel filter on the 05 today (this is my first ford) and realized it has the snap on style fuel lines. I will have to pick up a release tool tomorrow for the line on the engine side of the filter. But on the gas tank side of the filter it has a little plastic clip that slides in and locks it in place and I tried pulling it out with a needle nose and broke it. Anways I got the line off easily once I got the little clip out but now I am hopingI can find another one! I am assuming the dealer should have one?
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: Changing fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell View Post
I started changing the fuel filter on the 05 today (this is my first ford) and realized it has the snap on style fuel lines. I will have to pick up a release tool tomorrow for the line on the engine side of the filter. But on the gas tank side of the filter it has a little plastic clip that slides in and locks it in place and I tried pulling it out with a needle nose and broke it. Anways I got the line off easily once I got the little clip out but now I am hopingI can find another one! I am assuming the dealer should have one?
Picture??? The inlet (tank) side has a spring lock coupling with a metal redundant clip, the outlet has a quick connect fitting with a plastic clip you squeeze or push before pulling the line off. Usually that doesn't come seperate, it comes with the line.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56   #3 (permalink)

Re: Changing fuel filter

I have to head to my night shift right away but when I get up tomorrow I can try get a pic of it. The outlet side had the little metal safety retainer that you unlatch and then move aside and use the spring release tool but the inlet was weird just a plastic fitting with the little plastic clip??? Anyways thanks for the help and I will see what I can get tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2010, 13:30   #4 (permalink)

Here is a pic of the exact clip that broke on me. I am thinking the new filter maybe should have come with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crownivcfuelfilter.jpg (98.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-14-2010, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Changing fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell View Post
Here is a pic of the exact clip that broke on me. I am thinking the new filter maybe should have come with this?
Hmmm... that's different from the AllData picture I had. You're in luck, that's the old Duck Bill style fuel line clip. The new filter should come with a couple new ones. You slip the clip into the line, triangle points away from filter, then push the line onto the filter until it clicks.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 21:37   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

lotsa times that clip you showed a picture of comes with the filter... i know the older filters did... picture shown at autozone shows it is almost same filter as ones that were used for years... you sure it doesnt have same type of clip on otherside of filter? that filter when bought should come with the clips.... buy the filter and if it has 2 clips, you know you dont need a special tool

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10   #7 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

That's the same setup my '05 CVPI has. I had to stare at it for a minute or so before I realized how it came apart. The clip comes through the other side wit two ridged tips, that you compress together slightly, and pull the clip from the other end.

The "OEM" tool from Autozone is around $7, and works reasonably well... but prepared to get frustrated.

BTW dude, where do you live? Your '05 has more rust than mine does, and I live in Vermont!

Cheers,
- The Doctor
Old 11-15-2010, 13:59   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

On those newer ones, you don't pull the clips. You press the tab area of the clip and pull the filter out. The front one as shown in the picture does pull out.
Old 11-15-2010, 14:45   #9 (permalink)

Got it all figured out today, the box I got had no new clip in it so I went to the parts store and they gave me the duckbill clip I needed. Filter is changed and I also returned the ac delco plugs and got some autolite ones just for peace of mind. Plug change went smooth except for the #8 cyl when I pulled on the coil pack and boot they came apart but it did not look like it wrecked anything so I put just carefully put the spring back in and pushed them together and it runs just fine, thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2010, 15:27   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update. Glad it's all set.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71