Check engine light on 2000 Crown Vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57   #1 (permalink)

Check engine light on 2000 Crown Vic

I just recently bought a P71 ex police interceptor year 2000 had about 88k miles on it when i got it. Everything checked out fine the engine and trans. Anyway drove it for about a month now and everything runs well. on the way to work earlier I hit the 90,000 mile mark 3 miles after The check light popped on at 90,003. When i got home I check the power steering fluid the tranny fluid the oil the radiator fluid pretty much everything to make sure its in order. Everything seems fine and the car still runs just as good as it did before.

Iam wondering if the light turned on because its at 90k and needs to be taken in for checkup for them to turn it off. Or if it was somthing bigger. I havent gotten to changing the plugs and coils yet due to time restraint but i will get it done either today or tommorow. If anyone knows anything any help is appriciated.
Tim_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 12:10   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Check engine light on 2000 Crown Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_07
I just recently bought a P71 ex police interceptor year 2000 had about 88k miles on it when i got it. Everything checked out fine the engine and trans. Anyway drove it for about a month now and everything runs well. on the way to work earlier I hit the 90,000 mile mark 3 miles after The check light popped on at 90,003. When I got home I check the power steering fluid the tranny fluid the oil the radiator fluid pretty much everything to make sure its in order. Everything seems fine and the car still runs just as good as it did before.

I am wondering if the light turned on because its at 90k and needs to be taken in for checkup for them to turn it off. Or if it was somthing bigger. I havent gotten to changing the plugs and coils yet due to time restraint but i will get it done either today or tommorow. If anyone knows anything any help is appriciated.
Go get it scanned. Means something is wrong. Autozone will do it for you. Post the codes here and we'll try to give a good direction to go in.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 15:47   #3 (permalink)
Grumpy old man

Re: Check engine light on 2000 Crown Vic

Whatever you do, don't start throwing parts at it. It will do nothing for the CEL issue. As previously stated, get it scanned or buy a scanner and do it yourself. I finally bought one a few months back and now I don't know why I waited so long. Post up the codes given and one of us will translate it for you.

And no, the CEL doesn't come on at a particular mileage point.

GT-40X303 heads, E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers,
Cobra intake, Edelbrock 65mm t/b, 73 mm C&L, CAI,
24 lb injectors, AFPR, 3.73's, March underdrives.

FRPP headers, Bassani catted X, SLP Loudmouth.
This thing is loud!!!

Pony R's with Eagle ZR's, stock AOD.

Cervini's Air Extractor hood
2003 GT seats
Springtime Edition mirrors & wing

ff member 157
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 20:09   #4 (permalink)

Got it checked at autozone its the catalytic converter. The guy says it is clogged. Dont know much about these and how to go about getting them done on this crown vic since its dual exhaust. I take it there is 2 of them under there since its dual. Do i need to replace both or find out which one is clogged. And what a good spot is to order them at for a good price. since one seems to run about 170$ i really dont have 400$ to throw on both of them. Any suggestions are appriciated.
Tim_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 15:52   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Check engine light on 2000 Crown Vic

Quote:
Got it checked at autozone its the catalytic converter. The guy says it is clogged. Dont know much about these and how to go about getting them done on this crown vic since its dual exhaust. I take it there is 2 of them under there since its dual. Do i need to replace both or find out which one is clogged. And what a good spot is to order them at for a good price. since one seems to run about 170$ i really dont have 400$ to throw on both of them. Any suggestions are appriciated.
You didn't say the car had power loss or drop in fuel economy- usually indicating a clogged cat. Was the code or codes Catalytic Converter efficiency??? (P0420, P0430) These codes normally indicate the cats. are not effectively converting the HC, CO to CO2 and water vapor. This is done by monitoring whats coming out of the cats. with the Downstream O2 sensors. Downstream O2 sensors being out of whack can set these codes. While observing the upstream and downstream O2 sensor voltages and states on the scan tool, the upstream should constantly be switching from Rich to Lean while the engine is at idle. The downstream should stay fairly steady and hardly ever switch. If the downstream is constantly switching like the upstream then replace the downstream O2 sensor that is switching too much. If it no longer switches constantly then you should be set. If it still switches constantly then you do have a bad cat. To be safe, do both downstream O2 sensors at the same time. If you do one now, you'll more than likely be doin' the other pretty soon. I think the cats. are fully welded together (L. & R.) on these cars.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 15:48   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
There are 4 total. 2 per bank. The code that you had read should have specified which bank though so it's not a guessing game.

'99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
-Completed full PI swap
-Marauder Airbox & 80mm MAF
-'04 CVPI Ziptube
-ADTR ported plenum
-Steeda Intake Spacer
-BOC tune
-J-Mod tranny
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71