Check Engine light came on tonight. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 21:56   #1 (permalink)

Check Engine light came on tonight.

O no!

Tonight I was doing 60mph in overdrive and needed to slow down for the up-coming 45mph zone. I got off the gas and the check engine light came on, once it downshifted and I picked back up on the gas it wen't off tho.

I decided to see if it was just a one time thing, put the gas to the floor until I was going about 60mph again, backed off and let it shift into overdrive, rode for a little while like this and got all the way off the gas and sure enough it did it again!

It dose not do it all the time, every once and awhile it will tho and its getting me worried, mostly because I don't know a damn thing about a car ;[.
Brad.loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 10:13   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Check Engine light came on tonight.

What year?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:21   #3 (permalink)

90 LS :)

Its doing it off and on now, i've seen it once this month, not acting up so I have not had it looked at yet tho I know I probbly need to. Heard of this before?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
That guy

If the engine isnt spuddering or acting strang then it could be the emissions, mainly the EGR valve on the throttle bottle (looks like a UFO on a tower). I had the same prob with my 87 and I just cleaned that out cause it was clogged and sticking, light never came on again.

Old 01-16-2005, 22:35   #5 (permalink)

I'll go do that tomorrow. Tonight the thing was blinking on and off like christmas lights, it seems random but ussally only happens when I get on the throttle hard or get off it quick.

The engine is not acting up tho, at least as far as I can tell. I plan on riding around tomorrow with the radio off so I can hear it better. One thing it dose do that I never noticed before is a high pitched wine when I take off in low gear...

This thing is becoming a money trap :D
Old 01-17-2005, 10:29   #6 (permalink)
That guy

Then you have a 2.73 gear in the rear, if the hi pitch wine sounds like its behind you then your fine. Just if it is real hi with a slight clank then you need on gear lube in the rear axle.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:43   #7 (permalink)

Hi, it defentaly is coming from ahead. I mentioned it to a friend and he said his wife's car has been doing the same thing with the same cd player I have installed in my car. He took a ride with me and verified it, same noise. We are going to swap these cd players out for new ones and see if it helps.

I did'nt get around to cleaning that part, but I will first light this morning, ill let you know if that clears up the check engine light issues.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54   #8 (permalink)
That guy

CD player? After market or stock? As for noise from the radio or so then your speakers maybe going or the radio is. If you only get the sound during a CD then run a tray cleaner in it, the lens maybe dirty, or you radio setting treble is to high.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:34   #9 (permalink)

Hey the EGR cleaning fixed it right up, thanks for that tip :). It was stuck, a little lube and moving it got it free again. Whole process took 20 minutes (most of that spent looking for tools, all I had was a metric set so I had to use a 9mm socket ).

Anyway she's running good again and getting better gas mileage. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71