Clogged cat? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 18:51   #1 (permalink)

Clogged cat?

well tommorow I may end up putting on my H pipe or not, I dont really have much time to do any work lately. Basically this is my question

When I stomp on the gas the car hesitates, stalls out sometimes, ease on the gas to WOT and it is fine. Acclerates pretty good up to 140km/h then has little acceleration

I can feel a lot of exhaust coming out of the pipe so I dont think this is the problem... but could the cats be clogged or could it be something elese, if it is probably cats, I will most likely put on the H pipe
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 22:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Clogged cat?

One way to test for a restriced exhaust is to use a vacuum gauge. hook it up to a vacuum source start the car and read the reading. then quickly open the throttle read the reading and then quickly release it and the reading should go up 5in. HG., if the gauge does not move then you have a restricion in the exhaust posiblely the cats. Also when is the last time you changed you fuel filter, or changed the plugs and wires.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 15:25   #3 (permalink)
That guy

I'm not positive on this but your gas tank vent could be clogged and not allowing the gas pump to work at full peak? The vent filter is on the front passenger fender underside. It takes a 10M socket. Has 2 vents on top and tw0 lines coming out the side (1984-1991 only). I cleaned that after my crown had reall bad MPG and chugged like Rosan and chocolate milk. It worked great after that untill it warmed up allot due to a bad water pump. Also hold your hand over the exhaust pip, when a friend accelerats and if your hands get forced off hard then the cats are fine. Warning, don't do that when the pips are hot, I learned the hard way :(

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:28   #4 (permalink)

well my Y pipe coming off of the cats is rusting off, and I have a spare H pipe, the glasspack sounds good and not too loud, no muffler was pretty loud though.

and I dont know if the vent would be the problem, seeing that my gas tank filler hose leaks a bit, well at least I can smell gas back there
Old 08-19-2004, 13:48   #5 (permalink)

i just fitted hi flow cats to my merc, made a huge differance in power, the originals were broken inside ..i would say to everyone to replace to hi flow just for the extra grunt.
Old 08-19-2004, 15:05   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge
i just fitted hi flow cats to my merc, made a huge differance in power, the originals were broken inside ..i would say to everyone to replace to hi flow just for the extra grunt.
Could always gut the cats ... we dont get emissions testing here
Old 08-19-2004, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
That guy

I gutted cats on a 1994 crown once, got 4 more horses and the fumes smelled like poo poo. Also you sad you smell gas? Thank heaven your not a smoker :) Make sure the vents on the passenger side are one (right behind the wheel well shroud). A leaky tank will lose gas, even if its a upper leak.

Old 08-20-2004, 20:50   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I gutted cats on a 1994 crown once, got 4 more horses and the fumes smelled like poo poo. Also you sad you smell gas? Thank heaven your not a smoker :) Make sure the vents on the passenger side are one (right behind the wheel well shroud). A leaky tank will lose gas, even if its a upper leak.
havnt seen the vent yet dont really know what it looks like, a link to a pic would help for this one. and it is a small pinhole in the fillertube, I dont know why its leaking it isnt rusty, but it leaks minimal gas from there, no drips, just vapors I guess. still going to fix it though. another thing on my long list of plans for my car.

right now I have just started the bodywork, soon it will be painted.
Old 08-22-2004, 13:21   #9 (permalink)
That guy

Don't paint with a leaky tank!! The fumes from the tank (even if minimal) will cause fish eyes, orange peel, that will bestroy your paint. I know from experience. Painted a 74 ranchero with a leaky tank, all the paint ner the tank filler is peeling off due to a bad seal on the neck. I'll take some pics tonight (if my camera will work) and post them on my photo site. Heres a link http://public.fotki.com/Monstermayhemmodels/my_cars/ , my cars pics are there too. There from a year or so ago, I'll have to update them soon. Later.

Old 08-23-2004, 17:11   #10 (permalink)
That guy

I've been trying to get my camera to work, guess it time to get a new one :( Any way. Go to the passenger rear tire. Look behind it, you'll see 2 tubes, one big, one small. The small one is your vent, this big one is the gas line (I might be wrong about the big one). The small one goes up to a black box under the pessenger front fender. Then another vent tube goes to your manifold. That little black box gets full of crud and stuff. It should not have liquid or sediment. You have to take it off, it takes a 10M to remove the mounting bolts and a 7/16 (maybe 3/8) socket for the holding screw. If your good you can just take the holding screw out, its on the top of the black box. Just shack it up-side down and blow some air in it. All kinds of crap will come out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71