Clogged EGR Passages, AGAIN - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 15:09   #1 (permalink)

Clogged EGR Passages, AGAIN

Hi All,
I have cleaned out the EGR passages once already on my '95 MGM, 4.6 at about 35000 miles. Now at 70K they're clogged again. Not a BIG deal but I was just wondering what keeps causing this. I have read about valve seals leaking and the burning oil could cause it. IDK, I don't seem to be losing any oil or notice it burning. As you may note from the mileage/age of the vehicle, its not used a whole lot. Once a week by a little ol' lady...mine. She just uses it for weekly shopping trips and local miles. Could that be the cause? Also, I was wondering if running something like Marvel Oil every tank or two might help? Or maybe some periodic combustion chamber cleaner? Or maybe I should just resign myself to this task every 30K miles or so?
Ideas? Tips?
WC
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Clogged EGR Passages, AGAIN

With that low of mileage, it shouldn't be plugging that quick. Have you verified that is indeed the passages? If you're not using oil, that should rule that out. Also the valve seals don't start seeping until 100,000 miles or more. It also could be the DPFE or the hoses. What code are you getting?
Old 01-08-2010, 19:35   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for getting back,
Yeah, the DPFE voltages are in line and nothing has changed on the hoses; all connected correctly; no idle changes when EGR is activated (vac applied). So I gotta assume (to assume makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me') ha ha; it's the passage again. "flow insufficient" is the code again P0401 (trying to recall without plugging in the scanner; again).
I am really thinking it may be driving "habits" that are causing it to repeat this soon. OR design flaw!? At any rate I'm glad I found this forum years ago when it 1st happened as I had taken the typical approach of throwing money at the problem and replaced the valve and then the DPFE with no results. When I read about the 'U' shaped grove below the ell with the 3 holes, I checked and that was indeed the problem. BLOCKED SOLID!
I'm gonna see if I can get at it this weekend and get back to let you know the findings. I'm sure it's the same thing tho.
Thanks again.
WC
Old 01-08-2010, 20:03   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you apply vacuum to the EGR valve while its idling, it should run rough or die. That will tell you if the passages are blocked.
Old 01-08-2010, 20:23   #5 (permalink)

Nope, no change in idle. Again, I'm not so much concerned about "what" the problem is (now that I know) as much as "why" it keeps happening (and how to prevent it).
OH! and the last time the deposits were NOT dry cement-acious, carbon. But, wet, gunky, thick, tar like crud (goo). That's what made me think of the oil seal problem.
Thanks
WC
Old 01-09-2010, 13:00   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I think it might be a good idea to change the PCV. They are supposed to be changed periocicaly, and might help.
Old 01-09-2010, 14:07   #7 (permalink)

Couldn't hoit! It has been some miles since it was replaced.
Too cold to do anything today. Might be sometime in the coming week before I can look into it now.
Thanks
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71