Cold engine noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 17:44   #1 (permalink)

Cold engine noise

Hi, I have a 2000 p71. Lately, ive been noticing a ticking noise when the engine is cold. It is not constant, just when getting rolling. I baby the throttle when its cold, yet i still get this noise. My truck makes the same noise when i am lowing a heavy load and have not filled up on premium. Could this be preignition or something worse? I have always ran regular gas in this car and have never heard this sound. Do i need to run premium? I dont think i bought a bad tank of gas, as it came from mobile. I'm at a 1/4 tank right now and plan on filling up with premium tomorrow. Is there anything else i should look for/worry about?
thanks,
John
jcleve0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 18:45   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Cold engine noise

It may be a slight exhaust leak. See if you can duplicate the noise when setting still by holding the brake an slightly accelerate. If you can,Llsten with a piece of hose near the exhaust manifolds and see if you hear it there. You shouldn't have to use anything but regular. I have a 2000 and I always use regular. They have not been known to ping.
Old 12-23-2009, 21:16   #3 (permalink)

Ok. I checked for exhaust leaks and I cannot find anything. The noise comes and goes, with drive cycles. I drove it yesterday and it was making a racket, but today it was quiet. Yesterday, however, it is was making these noises through all temperature ranges and it seems to be getting worse. Basically, it sounds like someone is shaking a spray paint can under my hood with any kind of acceleration. Even just a slight tap of the accelerator will cause a racket that can be heard over the blower motor on high. There is no noise when the rpms remain constant for a period of time. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
John
jcleve0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have you checked for any codes? Autozone will for free. That may get an indication of what it could be. I've never heard a 98>up ping, but have had some exhaust leaks, though rare. Another thing can happen is the catalytic covertor fall apart inside. You can bang on them with a rubber mallot and see if you hear a rattle. Engine off.
Old 12-23-2009, 22:11   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Let me guess, the colder it is the worse it gets? Sounds like a diesel with any acceleration for the first minute or so after start up? Sound does not exist when outside temps are warmer?

Sounds like the same problems I've had with my last 2 GMC trucks. Bought my 98 with 100+k, drove me nuts the first winter I had it. General Motors told me it had to do with the aluminum pistons. They say the properties in the aluminum will change in cold temps, and will actually shrink the pistons, allowing the piston to rock in the bore. When the engine is started, the combustion chamber will warm the pistons and they will expand back to normal. Sounds crazy huh?

My 01 GMC has done the same thing since new. They say its normal...

I wonder if you are experiencing the same issues?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26   #6 (permalink)

Would a 95 Grand marquis have the aluminum pistons... mine seems to have this sound when its starting cold (started this winter - first winter iv had it) and as it warms up it slows and then it stops
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuthers View Post
Would a 95 Grand marquis have the aluminum pistons... mine seems to have this sound when its starting cold (started this winter - first winter iv had it) and as it warms up it slows and then it stops
Now keep in mind this is what a GM dealership told me. Weather its true or they were feeding me a line of BS, who knows.

They did say it was a normal condition.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

GM had those problems. Ford didn't. Just a few: GM Piston Slap and Engine Knock Concerns, Lemon Law Rights for General Motors Truck Owners
GM Piston Slap - General Mortors Piston Slap
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Yep I was just looking that up.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04   #10 (permalink)

ok thank you.... so I used my scanner to check for any codes (nada) so im assuming its a small exhaust leak.... is that bad?

why would it only do it while cold? (most of the time first start in the morning - crazy indiana weather)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71