computer non responsive??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 16:40   #1 (permalink)

computer non responsive???

Hi again,
I have the thread named "transmission problem", but now I have a more pressing problem. I cannot get the car to start. The fuel pump does not seem to be coming on. However, when I put the computer code reader on the car, the code reader light stayed on and when I turned the key to on, the light stayed on and nothing happened. When I put it on my '94 Towncar and when I do the same, the light goes off and I hear clicks and more and then I get the 1-1-1 code. On the '92 Grand Marquis nothing happens. I have the code reader hooked up correctly. Could the computer be fried? Or???? Thanks so much again for your wisdom and experience. (1992 Mercury Grand Marquis 72,000 miles. Been sitting a couple of years). Thanks, George3405
george3405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: computer non responsive???

Under the hood, check the ign coil, eec, and fuel pump fuses.
Old 08-18-2010, 18:55   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Hi george3405

Does your engine light come on momentarily when you turn the ignition on? If it doesn't, that is a good indicator that there is no power to your PCM.
Old 08-18-2010, 19:03   #4 (permalink)

Yes, the engine light comes on and stays on while the key is in the run position (engine not running of course). After about 45 seconds I can hear very rapid beeps like when the computer is giving out the codes, but it is very fast (too fast to count) and continuous until I turn the key off.

I know the fuel pump fuse is okay and I'll check the other fuses tomorrow. I checked for battery power at the one pin socket for the fuel pump and had battery voltage whether the key was off or on. Is that normal? Thanks again, George3405
Old 08-18-2010, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

One pin has power all the time. One gets power when the EEC power relay closes the circuit with the key on one goes to the fuelpump and the other is grounded by the engine computer.
Old 08-18-2010, 20:29   #6 (permalink)

That is a big help. I substituted another relay for the fuel relay and still no fuel pump. I'm thinking the fuel pump is shot, but the fuse does not blow. Although if the computer is not working properly, then the fuel pump probably wouldn't work. Thanks, George3405
Old 08-18-2010, 20:39   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You can bypass the relay by jumping pins 30 and the top 87, that will put continuos power to the pump for testing. If the pump runs, the problem is elsewhere.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01   #8 (permalink)

I checked today and found out that the eec, ignition coil, and ecu fuses are all good. I tried to jumper wire the fuel pump, but the battery was down and I just got a small spark, but I need to charge the battery and check again. I called the manufacturer of the code scanner to find out why when I hooked it up it would not run the self test. I tried it on another car and it worked fine. They said it could be a number of problems with the car. They did not know anything. Any further ideas? Thanks, George3405
Old 08-20-2010, 13:12   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Try this to see if you can get it to work. Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test
Old 08-22-2010, 10:03   #10 (permalink)

If the fuel pump does not work, wouldn't this make the "key on engine off" test not work? Am I right to think that this might be the reason the code scanner light stays on and doesn't start the test? Thanks again for your help and patience. George3405
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71