Covert 91 Vic into HO - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 12:50   #1 (permalink)
HO Vicky

Covert 91 Vic into HO

I recently purchased a 92 Mustang 5.0 HO engine to put into my sick Crown Vic. Thinking of how cool an HO motor would be, I prepared and installed without doing any research on compatibility. Then I came upon the firing order issue. Ive used the stock 91 Vics intake manifold, injectors, plenum, distributor, & wiring harnesses. It runs, but not right. Super rich & only about 5or6 cylinders fire. My question is can I simply buy a chip to control new firing order or will I have to buy another ECU? Or can a guy take his time and wire around the injectors and make it work?
fomoco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 13:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Covert 91 Vic into HO

The easy way is to get an HO computer. You can get them out of a mustang or a mark 7 I would go with the same year as engine If possible. Or you can rearange the plugg wires but I forgot how it went. Also sense you used the 91 injectors you are going to lose some HP because the injectors on a mustang are bigger.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 19:21   #3 (permalink)

Use the Mustang upper intake plenum (you can rotate it 180* to fit right). The CV plenum is simply not going to flow enough. For the vacuum hoses on the plenum, hook the large hoses to the large ports and small hoses to the small ports. For some things, you may need to run longer hose to match things up to the ports properly. Here are the things to make sure are getting vacuum:

Vacuum tree on firewall (big port)
MAP sensor (big port-- bolted through windshield wiper valley, near heater hoses on firewall)
Fuel pressure regulator (small port)
The little solenoid that comes off the T from your cruise control servo (should run up the passenger side and have a medium-size vacuum line attached to it)
Smog pump (this may actually run off one of the vacuum lines on the passenger fender well)
EGR solenoid (small port)

You'll need the Mustang throttlebody- it's a 60mm, while the CV is 50mm. You need to swap the throttle lever from the CV throttle body to the Mustang throttlebody. There are small spots on the bottom of the levers that look like welds. Grind them off and you can pry the lever off the shaft (be careful not to mangle it). Swap it to the Mustang TB and have someone put a quick spot weld on it. You need to take your stock EGR spacer and have it bored out to 60mm at a machine shop (the max is 63mm) to match the throttlebody opening.

You can use the CV wiring- it's fine, the injector firing order is in the computer itself. Make sure you do the plug wires in HO firing order, though (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) or it won't work. Your distributor is fine, too.

You'll need an ECM from a Lincoln Mark VII (they were built from 1987 until 1992) if you have cruise control. If you use a Mustang computer, you'll lose the cruise because the Mustangs had a different computer to control it. If you don't have cruise, a Mustang (1986-1988) computer will work (if you need a temporary fix until you find the Mark computer or if you don't care for cruise), but you can't use 1989 or newer because they were MAF. You can upgrade to that later, when you get a better feel for things.

The reason it's running extremely rich is because you're not getting enough air through your 50mm throttlebody and your stock CV upper intake plenum (and you're not running on all cylinders, so you're dumping fuel). You need to use the Mustang injectors, too- they're larger.

That's a lot to take in, but you've made a HUGE step by getting the engine in and ready to roll. Now, it's just a matter of making a few minor modifications to get it all finalized.

Good luck and if you need help with anything else, be sure to post up!

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
HO Vicky

Thankyou for info.
fomoco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 15:03   #5 (permalink)

Don't thank me. Just do it!

Let us know how it goes. It's always fun to see another HO Panther.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71