Crazy Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 01:57   #1 (permalink)

Crazy Problem

I have a '92 Marquis with the strangest problem I've ever encountered. The car starts up fine, but idles for a few moments, then dies. It will start right back up again. The odd this is that it doesn't die when the MAF is disconnected. I replaced the MAF and it still does the same thing.

It's recently started making a hissing sound. The noise is coming from the rear of the engine on the driver's side. It sounds like it's coming from the throttle body, but I pulled that off, and put a new seal and RTV on it. Any suggestions? I'm going to pull the intake manifold off this weekend, and would like to clear this problem at the same time. I'm also going to replace the O-rings on the fuel injectors.

This car has the 4.6 Liter engine. I don't have all the other details on it right in front of me, but will post them here shortly.
thalasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52   #2 (permalink)
HO conversion guru

Re: Crazy Problem

sounds like the Idle control motor is faulty or dirty. try taking it off and cleaning it, if not replace it.

hissing noise is a good indication of a vaccum leak, check the lines to the FPR and DPFE sensor.
88grandmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 15:12   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

That is the problem .I had one that did the same thing and it was a 92 also
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25   #4 (permalink)

Sorry to sound like a complete retard, but I'm not familiar with these two items. Can you elaborate on the location of them please?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55   #5 (permalink)

Looks like a mini air tank on the rear of the engine beside the tube that the throttle body is attached to. The other sensors are located on the opposite side . Also check the vacume hoses that are attached to all this stuff mentioned.Get a Haynes manual for it too they are very handy for this kind of stuff and only about $20
Old 07-26-2006, 22:12   #6 (permalink)

I got it fixed. HOORAH!!!!!!! The FPR was fine, it turned out that the EGR tube was broken. What a nightmare that was. The dealership had one in stock, and I replace the seal and EGR while I was at it. Luckily, I already had the intake manifold pulled out, so it was a lot easier to get to. Thanks for the advice all.

One more question. I need to replace the power window regulator on three of the windows of this car. Any suggestions on how to get the old rivets (yes rivets, not bolts) out would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, the drill is ready to go.
Old 07-28-2006, 18:14   #7 (permalink)

The drill is the best way to go or a dremmel tool with a grinding disc(so the glass wouldn't shatter). I just did those on mine also. I got my regulators online at www.autopartsonline .com where they were the cheapest and better warranty and reinstalled them with 1 1/2 inch bolts with washers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71