Crown Vic 98 - Fuel Relay clicking like a telegraphist... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 14:11   #1 (permalink)

mad Crown Vic 98 - Fuel Relay clicking like a telegraphist...

My 98 Crown Vicoria started to do weird things in the last 2 months.
1st, my battery was completely draining randomly for no apparent reason. (less than 4v at the batt.)
After killing the battery 5 times in a month, I found out that the car could crank alone by itself
with no keys in it. It happened mostly on days after driving it in a rainy or snowy
environnement. Ignition key was not in cause. Every wire are switching as they should.

I had it fixed temporary by adding a relay and a Momentary button between the Starter connectors on the fender.

2 weeks later, Battery is back below 4V for no reason. but a snowstorm.
Went to work flawlessly but at the end of the day, I realized that the Fuel relay is clicking like a telegraphist sending a message when the key is on. (No constant clicks or oscillation)
Car starts but kills itself with a slight breeze. (A kick on the tire can stops the car.)
I can hear a Hisssssssssss (Like a small air pressure leak) that I never noticed before from
the passenger side of the engine (From fuel rail or an injector) when i bypass the relay.
Cant tell if this normal.

Now it wont start and smell gas as I crank it up.
To the eye, the harness looks ok and it wont stop the clicking even when moving/manipulating it.

Any idea? or test I can do?
Does any OBDII Scanner would be helpfull? I have acess to a PC OBDII interface if needed.

Thank you..

Sylvain
Sly1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 19:25   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Crown Vic 98 - Fuel Relay clicking like a telegraphist...

You either have a short or you have a relay that's not releasing. If you can follow the hissing, you might be able to find the culprit that's energized when it's not supposed to be.
Old 03-21-2013, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Crown Vic 98 - Fuel Relay clicking like a telegraphist...

Got to thinking, since you're smelling gas, I'd check the fuel pump relay and the solenoids for the vapor recovery.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71