Crown Vic ac problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16   #1 (permalink)

Crown Vic ac problems

Hello to all! I have a 1998 crown vic with the 4.6 motor. When I bought the car every thing with the ac worked except the blend door actuator. No problem, I ordered a new one and installed it. NOW it still doesn't work, the compressor will not come on unless you jump out pin #30 and #87 on the WOT relay, and the cooling fan runs constantly no matter what you do. In the car every thing else works, as in every thing changes from floor to dash etc... What is wrong with this thing? Thanks for any and all the help!
justinlogue5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Crown Vic ac problems

Have you tested the control switch? That's what feeds power to the blower circuit. How about the pressure switches? Do they have power on both pins when in A/C mode?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:00   #3 (permalink)

how do I test the control switch? Yes the presure switches have power.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:40   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

For the blower motor, there shouldn't be power in the dark blue/light green wire from the control switch unless the switch is on. As for the A/C clutch, those 2 pressure switches sen power to the PCM to control the clutch. It may be getting a WOT signal to shut the compressor off. Does it have power at the 85 or 86? one should be ground and the other power. I forgot which is which.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:03   #5 (permalink)

Let me go check.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21   #6 (permalink)

The #86 has power. The high presure switch has 3 out of 4 hot wires(one of them a ground?) , the low presure switch has both hot wires. The fan motor wires from switch? Are they on the back of the control panel in the car or are the wire plugged into the actual fan motor? Sorry for the dumb questions but this thing has totaly bugged me.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:48   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There should only be 2 wires on the high pressure switch. Here are the wiring diagrams. One for the blower part and the other for the A/C clutch.

Old 08-15-2010, 13:50   #8 (permalink)

I have a switch in the ac line about 6 to 8 inches up from the ac compressor, what is that?
Old 08-15-2010, 13:53   #9 (permalink)

Also , when I said the fan stays on all the time you did understand that its the fan on the radiator right? Not the actual blower motor.
Old 08-15-2010, 14:18   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The wires that control the circuit are pink/light blue and black/violet. The power should go therough the switch on those wires. I misread your first post and thought it was the heater blower. Here's the diagram gor the cooling fan. When the A/C runs, does the fan speed change? Which wire has power on the cooling fan? The dark blue or the orange/light blue?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71