Crown Vic Coolant Loss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Crown Vic Coolant Loss

My boss just picked up a cream puff 1996 Crown Victoria with 24,000 miles on it. He told me that it has been down on coolant recently. I know these cars have had a problem with leaky intake manifolds. Does a bad manifold produce an internal or external coolant leak? I know this car doesn't have the updated manifold on it because I also have a '96 police interceptor that has an updated manifold and they are visibly different. I know I am going to have to replace the manifold sooner or later. I would prefer to put a Ford manifold back on it, but I have a feeling my boss might want to try to save a buck or two and go aftermarket. I know Dorman makes a replacement manifold, but has anyone had any good or bad experience with an aftermarket?
USAdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 16:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Crown Vic Coolant Loss

I'd swear BBK or Edelbrock or someone had an aftermarket manifold for the 4.6L... I'm going to keep digging later and I'll let you know.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

I'm not really looking for a performance manifold, but I won't rule one out if the price is right. The person who will be driving this is a 60 year old lady, so I don't quite need neck-snapping performance. If the manifold is bad, which I haven't got a chance to take a real good look at yet, I will have to find the replacement. For the sake of arguement, if I go to Ford, and they tell me a new manifold is $250.00, and the guy down the street sells a "Brand X" for $175.00...guess what, I'm getting the money for the cheap one put in my hand. Personally, I would go with OEM every time for this kind of job, but it's not my call for this one. I know sometimes the off-brand parts don't have the clips, or brackets, etc. that the OEM pieces do. Has anyone used a non-Ford manifold and had good luck with it?
Old 10-03-2005, 19:08   #4 (permalink)

No one's going to make a cheap manifold for the 4.6, yet. It's way too intricate. If you even find someone offer a cheap price, don't tell the owner. I'd honestly say go OEM, if it's an old lady driving.

Personally, I never put anything back to stock, but I can understand your situation. I'd strongly recommend doing the OEM piece and being done with it.

My Garage
Old 10-03-2005, 19:09   #5 (permalink)

Actually- call the dealer and see if there's a recall. I had a 4.6L 1996 Thunderbird and they recalled the manifold. I'm not sure if they did it on the Crown Victoria, too, but definitely look into it.

My Garage
Old 10-04-2005, 20:11   #6 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

They did recall them because of the things were trash(plastic). I havent seen one yet that did not leak and/or crack.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:56   #7 (permalink)

If they recalled it, it's a free repair. Just set up a time, go drop it off, and they'll call you when it's done. For us, they even had to pay towing fees because my manifold split into three pieces in my driveway.

My Garage
Old 10-05-2005, 10:42   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

I am pretty sure there was a recall for this problem too. I am also pretty sure that there is a time limit that you have to get it replaced. Being that this car is almost 10 years old, I don't think Ford is going to be too pleased about replacing this for free.
Old 10-05-2005, 18:23   #9 (permalink)

I also own a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. There were two recalls that were never claimed- one in 1991 and one in 1994. I claimed them both about two months ago. Doesn't hurt to try.

My Garage
Old 10-05-2005, 20:35   #10 (permalink)
That guy

If you want, I have a intake off a 1995 T-bird 4.6, I have all the bells too. If a T-bird intake will work, I'm trying to get ride of it. Its aluminum, no cracks and was sand blasted clean. I'm in belleville MI e-mail me at monstermayhemmodel@ameritech.net. I also have tons more 4.6 stuff. I got 3 sitting in the back.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71