crown vic heavy on fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02   #1 (permalink)

crown vic heavy on fuel+ problems

Hey everyone, new here, i'm Mo :)

i have a 2003 crown victoria lx, with 180,000km on it, that i bought like two months ago, and its great, except for the fuel, its horrible.

20liters of fuel gets me 40-50km
you do the math, btw i never floored it, and i was very light on the pedal, but it was mostly city driving.

and when i do floor it, its not that different to be honest which is weird
a very slight difference, to me the fuel is going fast either way.

i recently changed my manifold, all spark plugs, gasket, coils, and serviced it and it didnt make a difference, although those for another problem which was the manifold, anywayz went back to the garage today, and the dude told me to get an air flow meter sensor thing 'the one connected to the air intake' but hes not sure that the prob, and he says there's no way to check, unless you buy the part and check for yourself, he said it either that or the computer

Thats like 800dollars and hes not sure if that would fix it.

i would appreciate any advice on how/what to do

thanks

btw bought the car used it for 2 weeks, the manifold problem came up, kept it at showroom to be sold, and some ****ers test drove my car, broke the ajustable pedal, and hit the front right tier on a pavement, so my alignment is horrible, it goes to the right

oh yeah they also ****ed up my drive shaft.

the thought of selling had crossed my mind again, but damn its a comfortable car, it might not be fast, or handle that well, but i can fall asleep in it, if i do sell it ill probably end up with a corolla which is not ideal for a dude thats 6,1 and weights 140kg

just remembered when i start the car: sometimes it takes a few second like every normal car like chick chick chick and voom
and sometime my vic just goes chickvoom, that fast, less then a second.

my a/c goes warm when i floor it too, car feels very weak when the a/c fan is on high

my car makes a ''kreieek'' sound sometimes when changing gears while flooring, from the engine compartment

btw does anyone know what a black thing, that looks like a card reader with a red light called V.T.P is doing under my steering wheel, its not stock thats for sure

im sorry for asking so many questions, thought they maybe related, thanks
MoVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 10:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: crown vic heavy on fuel

I'd clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and see if that helps. As for the driveshaft, you can pick one up pretty reasonable by searching here. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. The pull more than likely means something got bent. You can look around on the tie rods and such but I'd take it to an aligment shop because things can look okay and be bent. Th A/C going to warm or switches to defrost?

Welcome to the forums. More information is better than not enough.
Old 08-25-2010, 21:37   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I'd clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and see if that helps. As for the driveshaft, you can pick one up pretty reasonable by searching here. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. The pull more than likely means something got bent. You can look around on the tie rods and such but I'd take it to an aligment shop because things can look okay and be bent. Th A/C going to warm or switches to defrost?

Welcome to the forums. More information is better than not enough.
I checked the MAF, its super clean, but i cleaned it anyway, took it to alignment shop, and they said my crossmember is pwned, and that my tiers suck, about the A/C - when i floor it, its like the compressor gets switched off or something, it become like a fan, not hot, but like a fan, when i let go of the pedal, it gets colder, nothing visible changes though.

thank you Bert =)
Old 08-25-2010, 21:54   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you're meaning wide open throttle, the A/C quits to give full power when it's needed.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:22   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
If you're meaning wide open throttle, the A/C quits to give full power when it's needed.

sorry for replying so late, my vic has been up and down for a while, my axle got damaged was leaking, just bought the parts i needed this morning

2 axle shaft
2 axle bearing
2 axle SEAL
3 litre oil, silicone and that thing for the sound

no its not only when i floor it, even when i only step on it 1/4
anywayz its in the garage right now, and i made a descison to spend all my savings on my crown vic, there checking, ac, crossmember and im gonna replace that sensor for the fuel efficiency, i was planning on selling and i rented out a 09 corolla for a day, at first it was great, so nippy, and the fuel was AMAZING!!!! i was like is the gauge working?

but by the end of the day, i took my car out to compare, and there is just no comparsion, sitting in a vic is like sitting in a first class seat in a plane, its suspension is soo soft compared to the stiff corolla, i love my vic even more now =)

wana get an exuast system if im not broke by the time everything is fixed, ya my carpet is also torn need to change the whole thing
Old 09-16-2010, 13:39   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it quits like that, what you're probably having is that it's losing vacuum to control the flaps. Check the lines reservoir and check valve under the hood first. If you accelerate, the vacuum drops and it will default to defrost.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71