crown vic p71 Heater Control problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
2000p71

crown vic p71 Heater Control problems

I just bought a 2000 p71.. the heater only worked on high. And now the high dont work. Do i just need a new Heater Control panel?
p71dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
2000p71

Re: crown vic p71 Heater Control problems

I just bought a 2000 p71.. the heater only worked on high. And now the high dont work. Do i just need a new Heater Control panel?
p71dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 15:13   #3 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: crown vic p71 Heater Control problems

Dave, based on what little info you posted, it's hard to tell. But, if by "high" you mean the full Hot setting, and assuming the blower fan works fine, then check the following: Does the Temp gauge show that the engine is reaching normal operating temps of 1/4 to 1/2? If so, then your thermostat is probably okay. Is there plenty of coolant in the resevoir tank? Simple, but sometimes overlooked. Is it an electronic type control where you can set the exact temp you want the cabin to hold? If not (and sometimes even if so) then start crawling under the dash to see if when the controls are activated, the cables actually move the valves on the blend box / air distribution box housing. The cables can slip in their clamps and the whole cable will slide, rather than just the steel core inside. This would prevent the outside / ac blend air door from closing one way or the other, and or prevent the valve which sends hot coolant to the heater core from opening. Thus, little to no hot air. It is a wilderness and a pain under the dash, but without crawling around under there, I couldn't answer your question for sure.

It might not cost alot to get a dash control unit out of a junkyard and replace yours, and you might discover cable problems in there while you have it out. Otherwise, it gets more detailed and expensive. I would not suspect a heater core, since when they fail, it usually involves coolant in the cabin floor. But if the dash unit doesn't do the trick, then you might start looking at the core, since while replacing it, you will be exposing many other parts and might find other problems that might be contributing. Good luck.
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71