Crown Vic STILL Stumbling/Cutting Out/Jerking! Request HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 14:29   #1 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

Exclamation Crown Vic STILL Stumbling/Cutting Out/Jerking! Request HELP!

Yes, I am still having this issue. I tried to revive my old thread, but maybe this is a better option. Anyhow, I am posting the original issue, along with my update. ANY help at ALL is appreciated more than you know!

I have a 1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria (5.0, CFI) that has an issue with what you might call either "cutting out," "stumbling," "hesitation," etc. At the advice of a mechanic friend of mine, I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and now the Fuel Filter. Seems like it might have helped, but only slightly, if any.

What will happen is this.....

The car will be cruising along in over drive, going 45 - 55 MPH (although, it will do it at any speed), but say if you step on the gas slightly on a flat spot or you start going up a hill, the issue arises then. Before the car drops down to a lower gear, the jerking and hesitation happens. But, as soon as it drops down, no issue at all. I do know this car (from the beginning in 1984) has always needed some help to drop down into a lower gear if it is in over drive, especially in cruise. I don't mind that, but this seems to be a completely different issue and it's kind of starting to get on my nerves!

UPDATE: New fuel filter did not help the problem, although it was good that I replaced it. Brown colored fuel came out of the old fuel filter when I drained it. Now, it is possible that a fuel issue might still be possible.

I just don't understand why the thing will stumble and jerk like a son of a buck before I make the thing down-shift. I can be going 50 mph, start to go up a hill (keeping the pedal held in the same as before) and before it down-shifts to third, it just stumbles, cuts-out and jerks around. I put in the pedal a little to get it to down-shift, and bam! The stumbling goes away.

If the problem is fuel, why doesn't it do it all the time? Maybe it's the "heavier load," but why is it only rearing it's ugly head then? So, maybe it's in the distributor.... also, is there any chance it could be the actual fuel pump?

One reason I am getting to the breaking point on this is that my usual mechanic was "unable" to find the problem. I don't think it's that hard to get the car to do it, but maybe if you aren't used to driving the thing.... he suggested replacing the distributor, and because I have known this mechanic for so long, I feel I can trust him. I can put in the distributor myself, but I just get the feeling that's not it. The distributor is the TFI type. It throws/stores no codes, so that is no help either.

Back in 2000, my dad (yes, it was his car before it was mine) had the EGR valve, EGR sensor and TPS sensor replaced all at the same time for a slightly different issue. Back then, the car would be in cruise, and the thing would cut out and jerk like crazy. It got progressively worse, until all of the above were replaced. I am uncertain if it was necessary to replace the TPS sensor at that time, but I am thinking that the TPS sensor might possibly be what is causing the issue this time around. I saw something like this issue on another forum, and the TPS sensor was bad for that guy. Thought maybe, just maybe, that could be it with mine as well.

I am just hoping maybe someone will read this that has either had this same issue in the past, and/or knows the "cure!" Any ideas? Thank you in advance! :)

1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria
302, 5.0 Liter V8
Central Fuel Injection (CFI)
TFI Distributor
soulwinnerrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 05:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Crown Vic STILL Stumbling/Cutting Out/Jerking! Request HELP!

You have 2 issues here .The first sounds like the vacume advance it not working in the distributer causing the car to not want to excelorate.You need to replace or repair the vacume advance in the distributer or replace the distributer with a good replacement. Brown crap in your fuel says you have a dirty fuel tank that should be cleaned out .Does this engine have a carb or EFI??If its a carb it should be taken apart and cleaned out as well.Change the fuel filter again after you clean everything. Carb has a micro filter that needs replacement also.
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 17:37   #3 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

Question Crown Vic STILL Stumbling/Cutting Out/Jerking! Request HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick462 View Post
You have 2 issues here .The first sounds like the vacume advance it not working in the distributer causing the car to not want to excelorate.You need to replace or repair the vacume advance in the distributer or replace the distributer with a good replacement. Brown crap in your fuel says you have a dirty fuel tank that should be cleaned out .Does this engine have a carb or EFI??If its a carb it should be taken apart and cleaned out as well.Change the fuel filter again after you clean everything. Carb has a micro filter that needs replacement also.

Thank you so much for your response! Sounds like you have gone through this before! Which, is good for me, but sad that it has to happen at all.

The distributor I have is weird. Instead of having springs, etc. inside, it has another odd looking thing. I am not the most experienced mechanic, so I am not sure what to call it. Anyhow, Ford calls my type of distributor Thick Film Integrated (TFI). I will probably just replace the whole thing.

I do have EFI, but it is called Central Fuel Injection (CFI), which I am sure you know. It's so weird because it is set-up like a carburetor. On a side note, I have always wanted to put a better intake on the existing fuel injection, but the opening is just a little different from a carb, so nothing (to my knowledge) fits it.

As far as the fuel tank goes, I plan on getting the thing cleaned out thoroughly. It is 25 years old, so it should be done. Here's another quick question... while the fuel tank is down, should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump? I mean, thus far, it hasn't given me any reason to doubt it's efficiency, but if the tank is down, then one assumes, "Ehh, might as well!"

Thanks again, and look forward to your response! :)
Old 03-28-2009, 13:44   #4 (permalink)

its the tps, those distributors do not have a vacume advance just as the dude said its a TFI IV universal distributor which is a thick film ignition with a hall effect unit, electronic. if it were the advancing unit, when you time the motor the needly would be jumping around causing a false reading on the crank pully, same thing if there was a malfunction in the SPOUT connecter. i had the same problem with my 85 crown vic and i replaced torque converter, wires, cap, rotor, plugs, hall effect, modual, voltage regulator, and coil turns out after all that i unpluged my tps and started it up and there wasnt a change in idle.
BILLY_BOB2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 19:46   #5 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY_BOB2003 View Post
its the tps...

You missed the fact that I already replaced the TPS. LoL And no, I still haven't found the issue, BUT I also haven't replaced the distributor like I was going to, either. Had a bunch of stuff happen in my life, and the 'ol Vic wasn't a top priority anymore. I am now at a point to start "messing" with it again, so I will post back to let everyone know if the distributor fixed the issue, or not. :)
Old 08-10-2009, 20:26   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

persoanlly to me sounds like the transmission pressure is set wrong and a hair to high causing it to hold the gears like that instead of down shifting. have the same issue on a car here that i havent messed with yet. i have my 1987 Grand Marquis, 1987 2 door Crown Victoria, 2 door 1987 Crown Vic parts car, girlfriends 1989 Crown Victoria, and her sons 1986 Grand Marquis

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

Crown Vic STILL Stumbling/Cutting Out/Jerking! Request HELP!

It still does it after the down shift, though. It isn't as noticeable, but after discussion with another Crown Vic owner, I realized that it was still doing the jerking/cutting out, but not as noticeable. It seems to happen more under a "load."

I was on this other Crown Vic forum, as I now recall, and I found a guy over there that really seems to know what he's talking about... we've both had the same identical issue. What he said about the distributor makes sense, so that's my next course of action. I actually had my "code reader" for this car read out a code for a possible misfire/distributor issue. That's another big reason I am leaning this way.
Old 09-12-2011, 18:39   #8 (permalink)

I had the same problem...replace your fuelpump
jmgldsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:41   #9 (permalink)

dude, pull the vacuum off of your egr valve and roadtest to see if it still does it.get back with me
Scottaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:50   #10 (permalink)

u dont have any adv. in dist. u have a hall effect device. Known ass Hall switch. Did u tear ur plug wire boots any? maybe secondary ignition jumping to ground under load. T.v. press. may need adj also. if egr vac. disconnect repairs it, u need a vac. delay valve in your egr because your car is doing what is called trailor hitching.
Scottaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71